Broken antenna in

Si54

Hi our box sits on the floor under the sofa so gets moved regularly when hovering. Tonight the connector gave way. It had been loose for a while, I thought it was a loose screw and when I went to check it I finally broke it off, flush with the box. How do I fit a new antenna in?

Which version is your unit - the old one with antenna in and antenna out next to each other, or the new one with sockets one above the other? (I am asking this in case it turns out to be relevant - I don't have a "new" unit to look at.)

How do I fit a new antenna in?
In my opinion, unless you are experienced in that kind of thing (soldering etc), or are prepared to gain those skills, you can't. If you do have the skills (or know someone who does), you should have a pretty good idea just from looking at the damage. You may be able to use a part salvaged from an old TV, or solder a short length of aerial cable in place of the broken socket and fit an in-line socket to that.

If you don't know anyone who can help, and are not prepared to pay a repairer, there is nothing to lose by having a go yourself. For access, look at Commissioning, Disassembling, and Repairing an HDR-FOX (click).

Hi our box sits on the floor under the sofa so gets moved regularly when hovering.
That is very bad - not only for the reason you have discovered, but also for cooling. The unit needs a free circulation of air, and there will have been a lot of dust ingress. While you have it opened up, give it a good clean as well. In future, do not site it where it will have to be moved on a routine basis (never a good idea for anything with cables, and if you must then disconnect the cables first).

Last edited:
Many thanks for that.
I don't have a soldering iron and not done much before, once or twice perhaps. I thought of using "electric" glue - assuming that it exists? ? ?
Looked at the link you posted, extensive! Probably easiest to add a length of coax cable and fitting - a flexible coupling might have prevented the problem to start with.
Alternatively, did a parts store get set up?

Probably easiest to add a length of coax cable and fitting
Yes, I think so. I am willing to do the job if you are prepared to ship it both ways.
a flexible coupling might have prevented the problem to start with.
You really don't want to be relying on that. Please don't put it back under the sofa!
Alternatively, did a parts store get set up?
Not so far, and the only way it would have helped in this instance is if a working input tuner module could be salvaged from a dead motherboard.

In case anyone is reading this, I am still willing to receive dead HDR-FOXes as a repository of spare parts. There would be some financial settlement between the eventual recipient of a part and its donor (we might have to set up a standard pricing structure).

I live near Bedford, work in London and travel to Gravesend and Kings Hill in Kent, and Southampton and Loughborough. Are you close enough to any of these for a drop-off?

Back