Broken dedup

rpb424

Bit of advice please.

I've broken the normalise.jim file whilst trying to add another regular expression to filter out. Unfortunately I was editing an older version on the iPad and forgot to download the latest version from the Humax before uploading my edited version. Result is that deduplicate within the Webif now bombs out with an error message.

What's the easiest way to restore the status quo i.e. get the latest version of the file back without uninstalling too many dependent packages?

Since this is not specific to dedup, perhaps the topic title should read:

Fixed: Broken Package By Fiddling With It - How To Recover

Fixed: Broken Package By Fiddling With It - How To Recover

Why do I feel like a chastised 10-year old (which I most certainly am not)? I assume then that the author of a package 'develops' it, whilst anybody else who might want to try out a possible improvement for the greater good has no right to, and is simply 'fiddling'? That wouldn't do much to enhance the developer community.

Fixed. A force reinstall of webif sorted it.
Spot on - that's the best way to fix it.

What was the new expression? If it has general application I'll add it to the standard package. The broadcasters are always finding new ways to make this hard!

Posted on the move; please excuse any brevity.

Thanks af123,

The expression was {^[0-9]*/[0-9]*\.* *}. This removes episode numbering such as '1/20.' from the beginning, which is pertinent at the moment to the new series of Shaun The Sheep currently being shown on CBBC.

Thanks Ezra. I already have all those episodes properly dedup'd in a folder of their own, but I'm not bothered about embedding series info so don't use helper files. BTW, the new series is Series 3, which would need adding to the file anyway.

Why do I feel like a chastised 10-year old (which I most certainly am not)? I assume then that the author of a package 'develops' it, whilst anybody else who might want to try out a possible improvement for the greater good has no right to, and is simply 'fiddling'? That wouldn't do much to enhance the developer community.

I resent that. I was only trying to suggest a topic title which would more accurately characterise the content of the initial post, since the initial post was not specific to dedup, and the second post pretty much terminated the topic by saying it had been fixed. Topic titles are used to search for information relevant to a problem, and it is not uncommon for the content of a topic to evolve so that the original title is no longer appropriate.

There is no harm in fiddling with things in exploration, I never meant to imply that there is.

Thanks Ezra. I already have all those episodes properly dedup'd in a folder of their own, but I'm not bothered about embedding series info so don't use helper files. BTW, the new series is Series 3, which would need adding to the file anyway.

Series 3 now added HERE

Hi all. I've had an instance recently where a Sign Language programme was recorded somehow and the auto dedup moved the existing file (non-sign) into duplicates which I then deleted... I'm also now using the useful auto-expire on some duplication folders which is very good.

I don't know if the dedup process checks if the programme is marked [SL] and thus not a duplicate because in this case the broadcaster had not stated [SL] in the synopsis.

But what this did make me realise is that auto dedup prioritises the new (or newer) recording. I'd much prefer to change the preference logic so that an existing recording is retained and the new moved to duplicates.

Is this possible? I assume others may well prefer the current "new over old" logic but for me if I've kept something I would prefer it to be prioritised if possible.

Thanks

The expression was {^[0-9]*/[0-9]*\.* *}. This removes episode numbering such as '1/20.' from the beginning, which is pertinent at the moment to the new series of Shaun The Sheep currently being shown on CBBC.

Fair enough. I don't think that should be in the main package as most people will want the episode/series numbers preserving, but I can understand how it's useful if previously recorded episodes don't have that!

Is this possible? I assume others may well prefer the current "new over old" logic but for me if I've kept something I would prefer it to be prioritised if possible.

I'll look into it. It should be possible to make that a selectable option.

I've had an instance recently where a Sign Language programme was recorded somehow

I have noticed that the Humax reschedule does not distiguish between SL and non-SL broadcasts of the "same" programme. Beware of reschedules in the early hours.

I have also noticed that sometimes ITV1 broadcasts programmes billed as signed, on the info (and Radio Times), without signing on the HD stream.

Back