Broken images on web interface EPG listing



Apologies if this has been reported before, but I noticed a number of images are broken. I'm in the Northern Ireland region and (with the exception of one channel) all are specific to this region. Here's a list:

Channel Number: 85
Channel Name: RT
URL Image Link: http://humax/img/channels/RT.png
Filesystem Image: <doesn't exist>
Problem: New image needs to be created

Channel Number: 101
Channel Name: BBC One NI HD
URL Image Link: http://humax/img/channels/BBC One NI HD.png
Filesystem Image: <doesn't exist>
Problem: New image needs to be created

Channel Number: 103
Channel Name: UTV HD
URL Image Link: http://humax/img/channels/UTV HD.png
Filesystem Image: <doesn't exist>
Problem: New image needs to be created

Channel Number: 719
Channel Name: BBC Radio Ulster
URL Image Link: http://humax/img/channels/BBC Radio Ulster.png
Filesystem Image: /mnt/hd2/mod/var/mongoose/html/img/channels/BBC R Ulster.png
Problem: png is not a real file, just ASCII test

Also, the RTE channels (Soarview rather than Freeview) icons are also broken. However, if you look on the filesystem there are a number of png files for RTE channels:

humax# pwd
humax# ls -l RTE*
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          4549 Jun 13  2011 RTE 2FM.png
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          4955 Jun 13  2011 RTE Europe.png
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          5917 Jun 13  2011 RTE Lyric fm.png
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          5306 Jun 13  2011 RTE ONE.png
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          6252 Jun 13  2011 RTE R na G.png
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          6132 Jun 13  2011 RTE Radio 1.png
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          5407 Jun 13  2011 RTE TWO.png

The reason why they don't work is probably due to the Irish language character set used in the name of the channel. For example, RTE Two has the following image URL in the web interface:

http://humax/img/channels/RTÉ Two.png

If this was as follows, then the image would link correctly:

http://humax/img/channels/RTE TWO.png

Not sure if this can be done simply with a symbolic link. Perhaps a manual hard-coding in the HTML source for non-UK English characters is required. This problem might also happen for Scottish and Welsh language channels but I don't have access to them.

It's not a big deal, just cosmetic - it doesn't cause any lack of functionality. Just thought I'd mention it in case no one else had reported.
There is every chance af123 has not created thumbnail icons for those channels. They are not pulled from some kind of published resource, and if nobody has needed them so far they will not have been done.

Can you provide a link to suitable graphics?
Thanks for the info. I just checked the latest logos pack on this site (, which you can get here...

It has logos for the missing Freeview icons...

Channel Name: RT
File in ZIP: TV\Russia Today.png

Channel Name: BBC One NI HD
File in ZIP: TV\BBC ONE N Ireland.png

Channel Name: UTV HD
File in ZIP: TV\UTV HD.png

Channel Name: BBC Radio Ulster
File in ZIP: Radio\BBC R Ulster.png

There are some RTE logos in the pack too and installed in the current firrmware so you can cover most RTE channels but not all. I think the issue here is the Irish language characters in the channel name not matching the logos on the filesystem.

By the way, one last issue is that the BBC 5live and 5live Xtra logos are the wrong way around. 5live should be the blue one and Xtra should be green. I think the file names just need to be swapped.
Comprehensive list of Irish channels...

TV Channels:

RTÉ News Now
RTÉ One+1

Radio Channels:

RTÉ Radio 1
RTÉ 2fm
RTÉ lyric fm
RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta
RTÉ Choice
RTÉ Pulse
RTÉ Gold
Radio 1 Extra


I'm not signed up for the MediaPortal site so I can't access the next logo archive, but maybe you can grab and it check if all the logos are there (see
I've updated the channel icon list for the missing ones, and dropped in the RTE icons too.
I don't know if they will work properly in the web interface - on disk they're represented with %C9 for the accented E. It may need another update to the epg library to translate the real character to that code sequence.
Fair enough, no icon is probably better than a broken image icon.

BTW, the channel names for RTE channels are all messed up in the web EPG interface too. You could get around this by presenting the page in UTF-8 character set rather than ISO-8859-1. Here's a quick test I did.

1. Backup the original header.jim and edit...
humax# cp -p /mod/webif/html/lib/header.jim /mod/webif/html/lib/header.jim.backup
humax# vi /mod/webif/html/lib/header.jim

2. Insert into line 6 a meta tag specifying this is UTF-8 content:
puts {
<!doctype html>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

3. Go to the page and compare results:



Hope this helps. I'll roll back my changes now... :)