BT Relate 1000 Pulses, No Longer Tones

Landline users should be advised there is a conspiracy afoot to replace all analogue phones with VoIP. I do not regard this as progress, because the VoIP terminal at the subscriber's premises (be that a "phone" with built-in VoIP, or an adapter to connect a conventional phone) will need to be powered at the premises and won't be powered by the line itself.
Not necessarily. I have FTTP broadband and the broadband modem box also includes a VoIP adapter and both are protected by a built in battery back up. The newer FTTP modems are smaller and I don't know if they have the battery back up.

Last.To.Know : Are there wires on the back of the switch or is the switch mounted directly onto a printed circuit board ?, a clear photogragh of the back of the switch may help us

For what? The BT line? What are you paying, to whom, and for what service? Perhaps start a new thread?
I am paying £25.87 (VAT inclusive) to Plusnet for FTTP broadband 80Mb/s down, 20Mb/s up; this is a trial product (rebadged Openreach) and the trial will stop at some point this year and currently I don't know what I will be paying when the trial stops but I will be free to move elsewhere if I don't like the new offering. I use VoIP for landline telephone calls (mainly incoming) on a pay as you go basis and £10 credit typically lasts three months.

but I also have the modem and the router running off a UPS that should keep them going for several hours.
Oh yes, really useful to a 90 year old still managing to live independently so long as somebody is handy on the phone in an emergency (such as might be caused by an extended power outage).

Oh yes, really useful to a 90 year old still managing to live independently so long as somebody is handy on the phone in an emergency
Whilst mine has an old analogue phone somewhere in the house, it is in a cupboard and not plugged in. The usual phone is one that needs power, so it's hassle anyway when the electricity goes off, which it has done several times in the last couple of years. And the panic button thingy which sits upstream doesn't help - it has a backup battery but insists on blasting out loud messages to "connect the power" regardless as soon as it goes off, and you can't stop it - this is particularly aggrieving at night (if it would just shut up, the power would probably come back within the backup time and nobody would be any the wiser). Who designs crap like this?

There's a big article in today's Mail about phone network "DSO". The relevant authorities seem to be offering mobiles and/or backup batteries to ensure 999 calls are available, but that's only scratching the surface.

Back