Build your own Foxsat HDR

Stylee

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if it is possible to build your own foxsat with off the shelf parts? could it be done?

If the question is "can I build a computer system able to provide PVR functions with a satellite receiver" the answer is maybe - I am aware of DVB-T2 terrestrial TV tuner dongles, and there are plenty of media player apps and OSes that can provide the back-end functionality, but I don't know whether there are any PC satellite tuners. It will work out much more expensive than buying a consumer PVR though.

If the question is literally "can I build a Foxsat", the answer is no.

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/homebrew-solutions-to-hdr-fox-replacement.6871/

thanks for your reply black hole. i was hoping it might be possible to install the firmware as an emulator on a pc that has all the same components installed. e'g satellite receiver, hard drive hdmi ins and outs etc.

I am aware they haven't made these for years now so wondering what to do when there are none available anymore, there is no other system that has the same functionality as a foxsat so just thinking ahead.

thanks for your reply black hole. i was hoping it might be possible to install the firmware as an emulator on a pc that has all the same components installed. e'g satellite receiver, hard drive hdmi ins and outs etc.
Yes that can be done but it is not 'Building a FoxSat' by any stretch of the imagination.
Buy a second hand one.

i was hoping it might be possible to install the firmware as an emulator on a pc that has all the same components installed.
Hypothetically, yes it's possible... but you would be starting from scratch trying to write an emulator in the first place. The internal processing uses a different instruction set than a PC, then the hardware you need to emulate is undocumented (in the public domain) and inaccessible for examination (buried inside the Broadcom chip).

Plus the hardware architecture does a lot of the heavy lifting for itself and you would have to emulate that too.

So, forget that one!

Back