Bush BTU500DTR after TUTV

KennyB

I have a Bush BTU500DTR (rebadged Wharfedale) with a Topup TV card slot, (TUTV software version 7.09).
Never subscribed to TUTV.

Prior to TUTV going bust, the box was working perfectly, no lockups, no lost recordings, or other problems.
I made use of the 14 day guide and added padding to recordings. The LPS (Low Power Standby) worked well, the HDD would spin down and the box was barely warm to the touch in standby.

Since TUTV ended things have changed.

Now have to use the 8 day Freeview guide.

1. LPS no longer seems to work. HDD continues to spin in standby, and the box is much warmer to the touch above the HDD.
2. Lost count of the number of lockups. Will not come out of standby using remote or standby button on box. Power down/up is only solution.
3. Some recordings which should last an hour or more end up being 1 minute long. Only happened 2 or 3 times.
4. Recorded a program on Ch 5 (used series option) and ended up with 3 copies of the same program, Ch 5, Ch 5+1, and 5+24. Never happened before.

Has anyone had the same or similar on their TUTV enabled box since the demise of TUTV?

Your Bush TUTV is made by a Turkish company called Vestel. There are a number of other branded models which use basically the same electronics and software.
For a complete list see http://www.vestelpvr.futaura.co.uk/T845.php

You may get an answer to 1., 2. and 3. through hummy.tv but your best bet is to post in the Digihome section of Digital Spy http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=171. 'Digihome' is where most Vestel owners post on Digital Spy. Futaura, who runs the vestelpvr.futaura.co.uk is a frequent visitor to the Digihome sub-forum and has great depth of knowledge in Vestel recorders.

With respect to 4. this also can happen with other makes of recorder. Last month there was a post on myhumax.org that identified this was happening on their Humax with Home & Away. It's cause was the way Five had set up the series. Five often set up series a bit different to how the manufacturers of recorders expect. If you post which programmes you are having duplicates I'll check how this coming weeks episodes have been set-up.

With respect to 3. I have had that happen on a Humax 9200T twice. On both occasions it was due to the broadcaster changing the now&next epg at the last minute. Different makes react differently to this. Of course the reason for your 1 minute recordings may be different. The normal Vestels do handle this situation better than a Humax 9200T, but I have no idea what the TUTV would do.

Edited to remove typos; 9:00 7th Feb 2014

Thank you for the info.

Digital Spy was my first port of call, but after I successfully registered it didn't allow me to post. I'll try again.

The program I recorded on Ch 5:- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. Tuesday 4th 10 pm.

Repeat recordings on the same day on Channel 5 are caused by Channel 5 using the same Series/Programme Identifiers for these soaps. My old 9200T had the same problem and I had to resort to non-AR weekday timers. PVRs use these identifiers to set up recordings. More modern PVRs keep records of recorded programmes to avoid recording the same episode within a set period or event.

For Monday's 13:15 - 13:45 episode of Home and Away the identifers are:

Series CRID: WWW.FIVE.TV/RBKV
Programme CRID: WWW.FIVE.TV/V6JAT

The same identifiers are used for the following episodes:

Ch5+1 : 14:15 - 14: 45
Ch5* : 15:25 - 16:00

C5 : 18:00 - 18:30
Ch5+1 : 19:00 - 19:30

Strangely the Ch5* episode at 18:30 has the Programme CRID (V6JAU) for the following day's programme. And this seems to be consistent over a number of days.

Martin

I've looked at the L&O:SVU series and programme data which is used for these recorders to identify programmes in a series. (The HDR-FOX T2 permits you to view this.)

How those series and programme identifiers should be set-up is debatable, and how they are used by recorders can get complicated.

What BBC, ITV and Channel 4 do is to give each transmission of a series a different series ID. This means that most broadcasters would give a series that is repeated 3 times, 4 different series IDs. Then when you set your series timer it only records what you are expecting. For L&O:SVU channel 5 have only allocated 1 series ID. The TUTV does not bother to see if there are any duplicates within the series and just records the whole lot.

Not all recorders are like the TUTV in how they identify the programmes to be recorded for a series. Most of the time it is straightforward, but for Channel 5 it can be a challenge.

For instance the Vestel non-TUTV will not record a duplicate if there is already a recording, or part of a recording, of the same programme. If you delete the episode, then if it is repeated some Vestel models did re-record it. I use to use a Vestel in a location within unreliable power. This behaviour was great as it would often find a repeat to record if it missed it the first time! But not too great as it gives no choice about which broadcast of an episode it would record and could record an ultra-low definition broadcast.

The Humax HDR-FOX T2 goes further and attempts to record just the one from what is probably the instance of the series that you wanted to record. I.e If you wanted the repeat with sign-language then you get the instance with sign language; if you want it from the broadcast with the smallest DOG or best definition then you get the broadcast with the smallest DOG or best definition.

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit w/c Mon 10 Feb 2014
======================================

Tue 11 Feb 2014 22:00 GMT 5 Channel 5
SERIES CRID : WWW.FIVE.TV /RC1S ; PROG CRID : WWW.FIVE.TV /V6j77

Tue 11 Feb 2014 23:00 GMT 44 Channel 5+1

Wed 12 Feb 2014 22:00 GMT 55 Channel 5+24

Wed 12 Feb 2014 23:00 GMT 5 Channel 5
SERIES CRID : WWW.FIVE.TV /RAWQ ; PROG CRID : WWW.FIVE.TV /VSjF7

Thu 13 Feb 2014 00:00 GMT 44 Channel 5+1
SERIES CRID : WWW.FIVE.TV /RAWQ ; PROG CRID : WWW.FIVE.TV /VSjF7

Thu 13 Feb 2014 23:00 GMT 55 Channel 5+24
SERIES CRID : WWW.FIVE.TV /RAWQ PROG CRID : WWW.FIVE.TV /VSjF7

Fri 14 Feb 2014 21:00 GMT 31 5 USA

If the Humax wouldn't track Escape to the County between BBC1 and BBC2 even though it sported the same S-CRID, why do these Channel 5 Group broadcasts track across different services? This is exactly what I was thinking about when I set up the test, and af123 has modified the logic when detecting duplicate schedule entries.

Did the BBC really change the S-CRID? I haven't looked for a while but on the occasions (a while ago) when I have looked the BBC have changed the S-CRID when temporarily switching channels.

Having asked that I can believe that there is something else going on. That is the reason why when I waffled on about Vestel I was talking more from a white box perspective, but when I switched to the HDR-FOX T2 it was more of a black box perspective.

This is exactly what I was thinking about when I set up the test, and af123 has modified the logic when detecting duplicate schedule entries.
I didn’t comment because I had nothing constructive to say. When the facts where laid on the table it was obvious that there was more needed for the WebIF logic but I have no idea what was needed to match the logic of the native HDR-FOX T2 than what the WebIF used to do. Rest assured that if I do I will offer my opinion even if I risk looking like a total idiot.

Edited: 1 minute after posting due to ambiguty

Luke, thanks for the reply.

I should have remembered about the Channel 5 CRID business, one of the reasons I stopped using the 8 day Freeview guide ages ago.

One final query.

You said,

“I've looked at the L&O:SVU series and programme data which is used for these recorders to identify programmes in a series. (The HDR-FOX T2 permits you to view this.)”

Just to confirm. Are you saying that the channel 5 CRID information you posted is accessible on the Humax.

Thanks in advance.

Ken.

The SERIES CRID and PROG CRIDs can be made to display in the info-bar of the HDR-Fox T2 when turned on in the Hidden Menu, Guide HERE
EDIT
Doh, a few Mins. too late :)

Back