BUYING NEW HUMAX – TRANSFERING VIDEO FROM ONE TO OTHER!

Helimad

Hi all

I have had a Humax Fox T2 HD for about 3 years and have been very happy with it. Recently it has developed a fault where it will suddenly just hang few a few seconds and then re-boot. It keeps doing this every 30 seconds or so. I have read several forums and tried a number of suggested solutions without a fix. I think its busted!

I am probably going to buy another Humax, a Humax HDR-1000S. Can anyone tell me if I can transfer the videos I have on my old Humax to the new one? Any advice greatly appreciated. I would hate to loose all my recordings.

Richard

You will need to use the Custom Firmware to allow the existing recordings to be decrypted before you can view them on a HDR1000s. If you disconnect the recording drive is the box stable ?. Your issue sounds like a corrupted time shift file on the connected usb recording drive. Try turning off time shifting to see if that stops the box rebooting. It's not a HDR FOX T2 by any chance is it (internal hard disk).

I have had a Humax Fox T2 HD for about 3 years and have been very happy with it. Recently it has developed a fault where it will suddenly just hang few a few seconds and then re-boot. It keeps doing this every 30 seconds or so. I have read several forums and tried a number of suggested solutions without a fix. I think its busted!
If you explain exactly what you have tried you may get some suggestions for fixing the problem with your existing box.

Thank you both for responding. The box is a Humax Fox T2 HDR. So far I have tried:

• Switching off at mains and leaving for a while
  • Disconnecting the network (I use Powerline Adaptors and I also have a Buffalo NAS)
  • Switched “content share” off and on.
  • Had the NAS switched on and off.
Any other suggestions very welcome. It would be great if I could fix the issue.

If you haven't made any recent changes to your network e.g. added a new NAS / NAS DLNA server software such as Twonky ver. 7 then another possible reason for the crashes is a hard disk problem, you could run the Humax disk check routine, there is a much better disk checker / fixer in the Custom Firmware package which I am guessing you don't have installed at present

First thing I would do is to try and install the custom firmware to get Telnet access. Connect to the box by Telnet (Windows PC with Putty Telnet client, for example), boot into maintenance mode and run the fix-disk diagnostic.
There is info on how to do this in the wiki etc.

Guys, thank you both. I did try the check disk routine, but I will try your new suggestions. I am away for a couple of weeks but will let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

To add to the above, fix-disk will not delete your recordings. If I am correct, once you have successfully installed the custom firmware from a USB stick, you don't need to install the full web interface to get Telnet access.
Regarding your recordings, there is a lot of info on this site about decryption, but to summarise, all recordings on the internal hard drive of a HDR-FOX are encrypted by default. You can decrypt standard definition content by using the remote control and copying to an external USB hard drive; this also works with high definition content if you use Raydon's Foxy software to remove the file protection first. Otherwise, if you have the custom firmware installed, you can automatically decrypt after recording. If you have done none of these, and you cannot solve your rebooting problem you will not be able to recover your recordings, I'm afraid.
Regarding file format, the Foxsat-HDR can play decrypted standard definition content from a HDR-FOX once the sidecar files have been deleted. In addition, to play high definition content the audio has to be transcoded from AAC to Dolby Digital. Is the HDR-1000S capable of playing a wider range of formats without manipulation?

Pretty sure the hdr1000s will play back aac audio from a HDR FOX T2 and incidentally read/writes ntfs drives straight out of the box (even formats ntfs) using USB.. I vaguely remember trying this out. I can check tomorrow.
The HDR1000S will play back streamed content from a HDR FOX T2 (including decrypted HD with aac audio).

Back