Can an older HDR-FOX T2 use power board PW1003?

Luke

Well-Knwοn Мember
I bought a faulty HDR-FOX T2 a while ago hoping that all it needed was a software update, new HDD, and to be tuned to just 1 transmitter. Unfortunately not and due to the bizarre faults it occasionally exhibited I'd like to try a spare T1000's PW1003 power board in place of the current suspect PW808.

Can an older HDR-FOX T2 use a T1000's PW1003 power board?
Or if I try it out will a just end up damaging the HDR-FOX T2 further?

I bought a faulty HDR-FOX T2 a while ago hoping that all it needed was a software update, new HDD, and to be tuned to just 1 transmitter. Unfortunately not and due to the bizarre faults it occasionally exhibited I'd like to try a spare T1000's PW1003 power board in place of the current suspect PW808.

Can an older HDR-FOX T2 use a T1000's PW1003 power board?
Or if I try it out will a just end up damaging the HDR-FOX T2 further?
I don't think it can. The connectors are different, one has eight wires, the other six. The PW1003 board only outputs 12V, the other board supplies both 12V and 5.8V. The PW1003 PSU is used in both the DTR-T1000 and the HDR-FOX T2 'RE' version.
What are the bizarre faults? The front panel board in the DTR-T1000 can be used in the HDR-FOX. A faulty front board causes the channel and volume to change by themselves and the unit to switch itself on and off without user intervention.

I can't actually remember what the faults were. It's been almost 18 months since I bought it. I do remember they matched what the seller said was wrong and were fairly diverse symptoms which on some days don't appear at all. The only ones I remember clearly were the non-bizarre symptoms for 1 miss-tuned HDR-FOX T2 but it was only tuned to 1 transmitter from its original home and I certainly only had it re-tuned it to 1 transmitter after a reset to defaults.

I bought the T1000 because I wanted the front panel board for another HDR-FOX and to replace a scratched casing on a different HDR-FOX. I don't think that the symptoms you describe of a faulty front board applied to my faulty HDR-FOX but it looks as though I'm going to find out again before attempting anything further with that HDR-FOX.

The PSU is one of the less expensive parts: if Humax have stock it may be worth buying one to satisfy your curiosity/ to keep as a spare. Is the PSU of the original version of the HDR-FOX the same as the Foxsat-HDR? If so I think it is known for failing capacitors: replacing them should be straightforward.

Is the PSU of the original version of the HDR-FOX the same as the Foxsat-HDR? If so I think it is known for failing capacitors.
Are you sure about that? My understanding was that the Humax box known for dodgy capacitors was the FOXSAT HD but I have never owned either box.

Are you sure about that? My understanding was that the Humax box known for dodgy capacitors was the FOXSAT HD but I have never owned either box.

I did it had the notorious capxon capacitors as found in the old Thomson sky boxes. Cheap and easy to fix though. My 2008 Foxsat-hdr still used daily has no PS issues (and it doesn't have capxon capacitors). The Topfield 5800 had similar issues .

I was not sure which model had dodgy capacitors, so I am glad that has been cleared up. If I thought I had a PSU problem I would measure the output with a voltmeter and perhaps replace the capacitors if they looked iffy. I bought my first HDR-FOX about 5 years ago (and have had several units operational for a few years) but have had no PSU problems yet.

I had to change the caps in 2 boxes - (HDR Fox) If you end up doing it be careful - the track lifts quite easily.

Back