Can Anyone Recommend an Alternative to Mediahouse Pro as an Android UPnP / DLNA Browser please?

4ndy

For almost a year I have been using Mediahouse Pro to download programmes from my HDR to my phone via wifi, to watch later. As the .ts files are quite large, I designated a location on the external SD card (/storage/ExtSdCard/). Everything worked perfectly.

Now my phone has updated to Android 4.4 KitKat, the additional security prevents the app from downloading to a folder on an external SD card other than to a folder on the path /storage/ExtSdCard/Android/Data/ <app package name> . Mediahouse Pro sees this path this as invalid (I think because of dots in the app package name). I have contacted Mediahouse, but as the app has not updated for many months, and KitKat has been around a while, I think they are unlikely to provide a solution.

Therefore I am looking for recommendations for an alternative app, if anyone has any suggestions. It must have tho option to download.

Mods:
Please feel free to move this if it is in the wrong place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you tried Skifta? I've not used it for this particular purpose, but it might do what you want. If you have the custom firmware on your HDR-FOX you can download/ decrypt in one go from Webif. The download works well from Firefox for Android.

Skifta looks promising. If you have ES file explorer installed, you get ES downloader as a download option when you click on a programme. It downloads to your default downloads folder but this can be changed.

I use Bubble UPNP to download programmes from Humax to the Ext SD card in my Samsung tablet and usually BS Player to play them. Both apps are free.

I've switched off auto updates on the tablet to avoid the KitKat update when it comes to avoid the issue you're having as I like the unrestricted access to the Ext SD card so I'd be interested to know how you get on

Kewa

Thanks for the suggestion. I had seen this, but I don't really want to root my phone.

The frustrating thing is that I know the solution is simply naming a folder. The problem is that Mediahouse sees the new folder as invalid.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

There's no way round for installed apps to write on ext sd in kitkat unless you root the phone. Google becoming like Apple more and more.

At the risk of drifting off topic, it is early days but, I have not found KitKat as bad as people make out.

ES file explorer moves files to or from the card as it always did. On two apps, Podcast Addict & iSyncR, I had to create new folders on the external SD card with the app name, but this was explained in the apps themselves. Resetting the phone restored the gallery and resetting the camera (in the app settings menu) fixed the issue of photos not writing to the card.

Mediahouse Pro is the only app I am still having problems with. This is mainly because it has not been updated for months. The website forums promises an update soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back