Can HDR hard drive be mounted on the HD

keytouch

Just trying to do a bit of "blue sky thinking" (ie i'm staring out the window bored at work looking at the sky).

Would it be possible to mount the hard drive built into my HDR on my HD box? Thus
a)being able to record using the HD box onto that hard drive across the network, and
b)being able to view, delete etc on my HD box, content that has been recorded on the HDR?

Or is this all scuppered by the encryption? Is the encryption box specific?
I know that content is decrypted on the fly by the HDR when being watched on the HD box over DLNA. But if the HDR box hard drive is mounted on the HD box, could the HD box do the decryption?
Also, if box specific, could the machine ID be changed somehow to match to allow this?

Has anyone done any research into this? I really wouldn't have a clue where to start but could follow instructions to try anything out

Yes, just done it!

HD Fox has an external hdd on the usb port at the back.

Installed cifs and samba onto both machines in case I want to share both ways and also to share either machine to/from my laptop.

Then telnet into the HD box:

telnet ipaddress.of.hd.box

Code:
mkdir /media/fox_hdr

mount -t cifs //ipaddress.of.hdr.box/media /media/fox_hdr -o user=root,pass=

I can obviously play unencrypted stuff but not encrypted as the playback on the HD won't decode the HDR encrypted stuff.

Hope that helps!

What you may have to do to really see the recorded programs from the HDR is do the OPT+ copy on the HDR to the virtual-disk and mount that, or copy the stuff back.

@af123 - would a wget script on the HDR copy and decrypt in the background from the normal to the virtual-disk? That way, something like the auto-unprotect script could be extended to copy the file to the virtual-disk with wget to decrypt it and then move it back to replace the original. Then all the content can be decrypted and viewed from either box.

Your thoughts?

If I somehow changed the system ID (if that's possible) on my HD box to match that on my HDR, could the HD box then decrypt the content recorded by the HDR box?

I doubt it. My gut feeling is that the decryption isn't generic to the boxes and then keyed to the system ID. I would expect each box to generate it's own unique encryption hashes, but I am no expert.

Currently the only successful way to decrypt is to get the box that recorded the program to do it first. Then the content can be shared.

So does that mean they've made each chip individually, or the chip has been programmed that way and could theoretically be re-programmed?

Modern electronics uses whole systems integrated onto one or a few chips, and customises it using writable areas some of which are accessible in the field (firmware updates) and others which are only accessible on the production line and may possibly be write-once-only. Typically these will be accessed by a JTAG diagnostic port in the form of little pads on the PCB, so in theory it might be possible to access but in practice the knowledge needed to do it would be very hard to come by.

Yes, just done it!

HD Fox has an external hdd on the usb port at the back.

Installed cifs and samba onto both machines in case I want to share both ways and also to share either machine to/from my laptop.

Then telnet into the HD box:

telnet ipaddress.of.hd.box

Code:
mkdir /media/fox_hdr

I had this working, then noticed it had disappeared. Now when I try to mount it, it says "CONNECTION REFUSED".

Anyone any ideas?

@af123 Is it possible to have this built into the webif so that I can easily mount my HDR hard drive on my HD box? When it is mounted it works a treat with decrypted files, i can stop playing a file in the living room and then resume from the same place once in bed

I
.........When it is mounted it works a treat with decrypted files, i can stop playing a file in the living room and then resume from the same place once in bed
Oh, now that's cute and what technology's for!!!

Sounds like you have a user/password issue. I'm guessing there's a log file somewhere in /tmp which may give you a clue.

problem solved, somehow in all my playing around i had managed to turn off samba on my HDR. D'oh!

Though a webif mounting option would be really handy

Some observations -entering the following, mounts the HDR drive nicely on the HD box and lets you watch decrypted files as if you were watching on the HDR box with full control including resume, skip, delete etc
Code:
mkdir /media/fox_hdr

However, when the HD box goes into standby and is switched back on, the mount has been forgotten and the directory that was created has disappeared and needs to be re-made.

Some proper coding is needed to retain this information or to renew it after booting, something which is beyond my abilities. It would be very nice if this could be managed through the webif if anyone has the time or inclination to implement this.

As a quick solution, you can just put those commands into a startup file, so do something like this:

Code:
humax# cat > /mod/etc/init.d/S10MountHdr
mkdir /media/fox_hdr
mount -t cifs //ipaddress.of.hdr.box/media /media/fox_hdr -o user=root,pass= &

(here, press control D to indicate the end of the file and return to the prompt)

humax# chmod 755 /mod/etc/init.d/S10MountHdr

That way the commands will be executed every time the HD boots. The addition of the & to the mount line ensures that startup isn't interrupted in the event that your HDR isn't turned on/accessible.

Back