Can I install LibreELEC / Kodi on DTR-1010

h7250

Hello!
Would it be possible for me to install Kodi onto a DTR-1010 and would the tuner be compatible? I would also like to use the SCART output as I want to keep an old TV going. I hope that this is not too hard to answer :).

Hello!
Would it be possible for me to install Kodi onto a DTR-1010 and would the tuner be compatible? I would also like to use the SCART output as I want to keep an old TV going. I hope that this is not too hard to answer :).
No. I don't believe DTR models have been modded to facilitate that.

Last edited:
No way Jose. You need an Operating System you can install an application on and that pvr doesn't supply one.

No you can't.

The hard drive is in there for data (ie recordings). You wouldn't be able to boot Ubuntu. Even if you could it would be the wrong Ubuntu for the hardware architecture. It's not a PC with a tuner included.

So I couldn't just install ubuntu on a hard drive and slot it in?
Extrapolating from what we know about other models:
  1. The processor is MIPS architecture, so you would need an OS compiled for MIPS;
  2. The processor is configured to run its OS from Flash not HDD, so you would need to find a way to get your OS into the Flash or modify the instructions in the Flash so that it diverts to HDD;
  3. The existing firmware update process (which can re-write the Flash) uses encryption to secure and validate firmware updates, so you would need to duplicate the encryption and signing process to get your own code into it;
  4. The peripheral hardware (tuners, stream processing, video and audio generation) is undocumented (in the public domain) and most likely does not conform to PC hardware standards so there are no pre-existing open-source drivers;
  5. Any app to be run under a side-loaded OS would also need to be compiled for the MIPS instruction set and the DTR hardware architecture;
  6. Even if you could do all that, you would then likely run into processor power and/or RAM limitations.
Certain bright sparks of this forum have managed to do some of those things for HDR-FOX and FOXSAT-HDR, because the firmware update process was not secure enough (signed, but not encrypted). Even so, that has only enabled code to be run using the existing OS and not involving any of the AV hardware.

You need to understand consumer goods are relatively cheap for a reason: they are designed and programmed to perform one specific function with no costs wasted on over-capacity. General-purpose computing can't have such limitations, and is consequently more expensive to manufacture.

The Broadcom system-on-chip used in the Humax PVRs is specifically designed to perform the necessary functions of a STB/PVR, and marketed to PVR makers: it includes the video data stream in hardware, and encryption. More info HERE

Last edited:
Back