Can I record to my external USB hard disk? (ext3)

Johnboy123

Hi,

Thanks for reading my first post!

I have a 1tb USB 2.0 hard drive arriving today and am planning on using it for archiving films and HD content from my HDR-FOX-T2.

My question is, can I also record to the external USB drive? If so, how do I configure the Humax to do that? Also, can I switch easily between drives for recording?

Thanks,
John

Welcome aboard!! Unfortunately it will only record to the onboard HDD and from there you can manually copy stuff to external drives. I think the webif on the custom firmware now allows you to do this from your PC so you don't have to interrupt viewing while housekeeping or it's something to do on the box during the adverts (once selected the copy carries on in the background). Check out the pinned topics for New Readers and Black Holes Trail Guide at the top of the HDR section for more info.

Thanks for info and tips. It's a shame I can't record straight onto the external drive, but being able to copy items across is fine.

Am I correct in understanding the copy will continue in the background and you can view normally while the copy takes place?

Yes, that's right, copying will continue in the background. As it will if you choose to delete something.

Welcome aboard!! Unfortunately it will only record to the onboard HDD and from there you can manually copy stuff to external drives.

I imagine it would be possible to overlay mount the external drive onto /media/... to trick the box into recording directly to the external. It would need the customised firmware and a few hooks but it should be possible.

Wouldn't you also get issues with encryption?
Perhaps a route might be to use the decrypt flag being cleared
to trigger a "decrypt copy" spool to usb via the cache drive
What I find funny about all these imposed complications is that even Bill Gates
came to the conclusion that DRM is pretty pointless.

Wouldn't you also get issues with encryption?

It should be fine. The box will happily play encrypted content from an external disk as long as it did the original encryption.

Aside from that, the hack I suggested would effectively make the Humax think that the external disk was its internal one.. I'm not sure how useful that would be.

Back