Can i use an old router to connect?

HarryHoudini

I have a spare old router and was wondering could i connect it to the humax via ethernet cable and use it to access my internet router which is located upstairs, so basically its working like a wifi dongle?

No, you would have to be able to configure the router WiFi as a client. Old routers can be used to add another wireless access point to your wired network, not the other way around.

Take a look at the TP-Link WR702N (other similar devices are available). These are cheap and have a variety of modes, one of which will do what you want. I have two.

Take a look at the TP-Link WR702N (other similar devices are available). These are cheap and have a variety of modes, one of which will do what you want. I have two.
Just had a quick peep at these and TPLink imply, if I read it correctly, that you can only do this on older versions of the firmware. So check it out before buying this particular model.

I have a spare old router and was wondering could i connect it to the humax via ethernet cable and use it to access my internet router which is located upstairs, so basically its working like a wifi dongle?
See if it has any custom firmware to allow this. Otherwise I have a load of unwanted powerline adapters which I am willing to sell at a rock bottom price! Both NETGEAR and TP-Link.

I've not tried it myself, so I can't guarantee it works, but if your router is supported you can replace the firmware and enable wireless repeater mode. Search for DD-WRT, for example.

I've not tried it myself, so I can't guarantee it works, but if your router is supported you can replace the firmware and enable wireless repeater mode. Search for DD-WRT, for example.

That's the firmware I had in mind. I installed it to try it out but reverted to the native firmware.

My Netgear routers support repeating natively, but only if the encryption is WEP. :eek:

Just had a quick peep at these and TPLink imply, if I read it correctly, that you can only do this on older versions of the firmware.
I read it differently. It is still advertised as having client capability; I think the comment you are seeing means that the instructions shown are not appropriate for the later firmware rather than that the capability no longer exists. However I agree someone considering buying one should check with TP-Link and confirm that it will work.

Just had a quick peep at these and TPLink imply, if I read it correctly, that you can only do this on older versions of the firmware. So check it out before buying this particular model.
I'd be interested to know where you found this info.
I have checked there main site (UK & US) and nether mention anything about new firmware (still shows Version 1 as only available version) or reduced function.

Thanks

ps.I already have a TR-702N and it does perform function as stated by Black Hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for that link.

It says:
Note: This FAQ is only suitable for TL-WR702N with firmware version 130314 or older; it is NOT suitable for 130528 or later version.

It doesn't say the later versions don't work in client mode, only that the FAQ isn't relevant to them (ie a different procedure is required). The various modes are, after all, the point of the 702.

I have managed to operate the 702 without reference to the FAQs (I don't think they were available at the time), although I admit I have never managed to get Bridge Mode working.

Don't worry about it, we all misread things from time to time (or find the memory isn't what it was - or maybe we misremember how bad our memory is).

Can I have notice of that question? (I'll update this post later)

Edit: #1: 4.18.24 Build 111009 Rel. 60162n

You can use an old bt home hub to do this. Bt sent me a new hub so I have the old one connected to a Comtrend ethernet over mains. I then have my HDR T2 connected to one of the hubs ethernet ports. The hub also acts as a wireless repeater. As an aside and off topic the old hubs have a print server so it's possible to connect a printer to the usb port and print wirelessly.

You can use an old bt home hub to do this. Bt sent me a new hub so I have the old one connected to a Comtrend ethernet over mains. I then have my HDR T2 connected to one of the hubs ethernet ports. The hub also acts as a wireless repeater. As an aside and off topic the old hubs have a print server so it's possible to connect a printer to the usb port and print wirelessly.
But that is not what the OP asked. I suspect that if he had an Ethernet link near the Humax he would not be asking the question.
he wants to use the router as a client, which is not normally possible.

Suffolkboy said:
I have the old one connected to a Comtrend ethernet over mains
I suspect that if he had an Ethernet link near the Humax he would not be asking the question.
he wants to us ar router as a client, which is not normally possible.
Eh!
Sent from my steam driven computer

Trev/BH.
I don't understand your comments.
The user wanted to use a router as if it were an "Ethernet attached wifi dongle". So was my comment wrong or something.

Attaching a router to a router via Ethernet is different, it extends the network itself but would not solve the problem unless it was next to the Humax, in which case why not just connect straight to the Humax and forget the extra router ...

Back