can only listen to certain radio programmes while recording TV

tombar

Why is it that, while recording 2 TV programmes, I can listen to certain radio stations, but not others? For example, at the moment, I can listen to Radio 1 or 2, but not 3 or 4.
?

It depends on what transponders you are recording from. This applies to TV or Radio.

If both recordings are from the same transponder, any 3rd TV or radio station is usable (only uses one tuner)

If both recordings are from different transponders then you can use any channel sharing a transponder with either recording.

As your other post details of what you were recording at the time would help (include which region if a channel with different regions is being recorded). This would also help to check your box is working correctly.

As far as I can work out, it would recording Eastenders (7.30-8, BBC NE&C; 101) and Holby City (8-9; BBC 1 HD; 108) on Tuesday 29th September. Both are series recordings. In this case, I couldn't select Radio 3 or 4 till Eastenders finished.

As far as I can work out, it would recording Eastenders (7.30-8, BBC NE&C; 101) and Holby City (8-9; BBC 1 HD; 108) on Tuesday 29th September. Both are series recordings. In this case, I couldn't select Radio 3 or 4 till Eastenders finished.

Your box thinks it has only one coax feed from the lnb and that the second tuner is fed by using a coax link from the tuner 1 out socket to tuner 2 in.

Did you setup the box with one cable and then add a second ?. If so carry out the factory reset described below.

During the recording of Eastenders the box is using 10802 H, in single cable mode only other low band horizontal channels can be used. Radio 3 and 4 are vertically polarised. It's not until the box switched to 10847 V to record BBC1 HD that the vertically polarised radio transponder became available.

I take it you do have two cables available to connect the box ?

If so first check how many cables your box thinks it has.

Press Menu - Setup - Right to highlight Freesat Tune.

Don't look at the screen during the next step

Press in succession, Red Green Yellow Blue Green Yellow Blue

Press right on the Antenna Setting that should appear in the Manual Setup menu

Antenna Type should say Fixed Antenna
Connection Type should say Two Cable(Same)

If not, power down the box and check the two cables are connected to the outer sockets with nothing on the middle one. If incorrect make the right connections and do a reset to factory defaults. Watch for the two cables found message during the reset.

Your box thinks it has only one coax feed from the lnb and that the second tuner is fed by using a coax link from the tuner 1 out socket to tuner 2 in.

Did you setup the box with one cable and then add a second ?. If so carry out the factory reset described below.

During the recording of Eastenders the box is using 10802 H, in single cable mode only other low band horizontal channels can be used. Radio 3 and 4 are vertically polarised. It's not until the box switched to 10847 V to record BBC1 HD that the vertically polarised radio transponder became available.

I take it you do have two cables available to connect the box ?

If so first check how many cables your box thinks it has.

Press Menu - Setup - Right to highlight Freesat Tune.

Don't look at the screen during the next step

Press in succession, Red Green Yellow Blue Green Yellow Blue

Press right on the Antenna Setting that should appear in the Manual Setup menu

Antenna Type should say Fixed Antenna
Connection Type should say Two Cable(Same)

If not, power down the box and check the two cables are connected to the outer sockets with nothing on the middle one. If incorrect make the right connections and do a reset to factory defaults. Watch for the two cables found message during the reset.
Yes, there are two cables - I had to have the second added when I moved from a Toppy box and Freeview and they go to the two outside sockets of the 3. The box shows Fixed Antenna and Two cables (same). Do I need to do the Factory Reset or not? If not, any ideas on what I need to do? If the connection for one of the cables was poor, would it still show up as the correct settings above?

Yes, there are two cables - I had to have the second added when I moved from a Toppy box and Freeview and they go to the two outside sockets of the 3. The box shows Fixed Antenna and Two cables (same). Do I need to do the Factory Reset or not? If not, any ideas on what I need to do? If the connection for one of the cables was poor, would it still show up as the correct settings above?

Time for some recording tests. Before that try Menu - System diagnostics - What signal strength and quality does Tuner 1 and tuner 2 show ?

Go to 108 BBC1 HD and press the record button. Now enter 102 to goto BBC2 HD and press the record button. You are now recording two from the same transponder therefore only using one transponder. Go to 101 and repeatedly press the up channel button, you should be able to view ever other channel. Make a note of any missing. List attached (note your lower number regions will be different to mine and part time channels may be off air)

Stop the recordings.

Go to 101 and start an instant recording

Go to 121 Channel 4 + 1 and start a second

Confirm all the following are usable

122 E4 10729 V
123 E4 + 1 10729 V
124 More4 10729 V
975 Channel 4 + 1 10729 V
110 BBC ALBA 10802 H
700 BBC Radio 1 10802 H
701 BBC Radio 1X 10802 H
702 BBC Radio 2 10802 H
705 BBC Radio 5L 10802 H
706 BBC Radio 5SX 10802 H
709 BBC Asian Net 10802 H
955 BBC One N West 10802 H
956 BBC One NE&C 10802 H
959 BBC One S East 10802 H
960 BBC One Scot 10802 H
966 BBC One Yorks 10802 H
970 BBC Two Scot 10802 H

Attachments

• Freesat Channels.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 1
Time for some recording tests. Before that try Menu - System diagnostics - What signal strength and quality does Tuner 1 and tuner 2 show ?

Go to 108 BBC1 HD and press the record button. Now enter 102 to goto BBC2 HD and press the record button. You are now recording two from the same transponder therefore only using one transponder. Go to 101 and repeatedly press the up channel button, you should be able to view ever other channel. Make a note of any missing. List attached (note your lower number regions will be different to mine and part time channels may be off air)

Stop the recordings.

Go to 101 and start an instant recording

Go to 121 Channel 4 + 1 and start a second

Confirm all the following are usable

122 E4 10729 V
123 E4 + 1 10729 V
124 More4 10729 V
975 Channel 4 + 1 10729 V
110 BBC ALBA 10802 H
700 BBC Radio 1 10802 H
701 BBC Radio 1X 10802 H
702 BBC Radio 2 10802 H
705 BBC Radio 5L 10802 H
706 BBC Radio 5SX 10802 H
709 BBC Asian Net 10802 H
955 BBC One N West 10802 H
956 BBC One NE&C 10802 H
959 BBC One S East 10802 H
960 BBC One Scot 10802 H
966 BBC One Yorks 10802 H
970 BBC Two Scot 10802 H

On both tuners, strength is 90% and quality 100%
Recording on 108 and 102:
The missing ones are 111, 160-199, 213-299, 306-399, 403-409, 412-499, 512-599, 610-650, 653-659, 664-689, 696-799, 801-804, 819, 823-869, 871-899, 992, 904-949, 979, 980, 982-998.

Instant recording is just the same as above? Recording 101 and 121, I get all the ones listed if I just type them in - is this what you meant? All of the radio ones in this list were missing in the first set above if i went to 101 and just pressed up, but were present if I typed in the number

can you confirm 102 is BBC 2 HD - tune to it and press opt+ to confirm transponder, repeat for 108 ?. They should be the same transponder.

If you look at the channel list I posted you will see those channels don't exist. Try pressing down rather than up and confirm using the channel list I sent you.

With no recordings in progress download this file and open it in your browser. Check you can receive one channel from each transponder with no recordings in progress. Power off the box and reverse the connections and repeat.

Apparently tab delimited text files can't be opened.

Download the file in .htm and open in your browser

https://www.adrive.com/public/t3jBkt/FoxsatStaticMK2_011.htm

Attachments

• FoxsatStaticMK2_011.txt
    6.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
can you confirm 102 is BBC 2 HD - tune to it and press opt+ to confirm transponder, repeat for 108 ?. They should be the same transponder.

If you look at the channel list I posted you will see those channels don't exist. Try pressing down rather than up and confirm using the channel list I sent you.

With no recordings in progress download this file and open it in your browser. Check you can receive one channel from each transponder with no recordings in progress. Power off the box and reverse the connections and repeat.

Apparently tab delimited text files can't be opened.

Download the file in .htm and open in your browser

https://www.adrive.com/public/t3jBkt/FoxsatStaticMK2_011.htm

Hi Graham,

Yes, 102 is BBC2 HD.

If I tune in to it and press opt+, how do I tell which transponder it is? Is "10847 MHz, v, 23000, 2/3" relevant? Is "v" = vertical = one of the transponders?

Which missing channels do you want me to check for with no recording? For instance, there is no 111 in the TV list, so it skips channel 111. Does "missing channels" mean (i) ones that are actaully missing or (ii) ones that don't appear if I start at 101 and click the up button, but do appear if I simply type in the channel number?

I'm not sure what you want me to do with the list in the file - is H one transponder and V the other? All you want me to do is check if I can receive any 1 channel from the V list and any 1 from the H list with no recording going on?

We seem to have moved the TV problem into the radio topic?

Hi Graham,

Yes, 102 is BBC2 HD.

If I tune in to it and press opt+, how do I tell which transponder it is? Is "10847 MHz, v, 23000, 2/3" relevant? Is "v" = vertical = one of the transponders?

Which missing channels do you want me to check for with no recording? For instance, there is no 111 in the TV list, so it skips channel 111. Does "missing channels" mean (i) ones that are actaully missing or (ii) ones that don't appear if I start at 101 and click the up button, but do appear if I simply type in the channel number

I'm not sure what you want me to do with the list in the file - is H one transponder and V the other? All you want me to do is check if I can receive any 1 channel from the V list and any 1 from the H list with no recording going on?

We seem to have moved the TV problem into the radio topic?

10847 is the transponder frequency in MHz (Megahertz) , V is the transponder polarisation (v is vertical, h is horizontal). The other numbers you don't have to worry about, but for reference 23000 is the Symbol rate (SR), 2/3 is the forward error correction FEC). Any channel not in the Freesat channel.txt list does not exist. Not able to access a Foxsat at the moment, as I said the down button on the remote may go down the list from 101.

If you download the .htm file I linked to it's organised in transponder blocks rather than channel numbers. Once downloaded double click it to open in your default browser. One transponder carries more than one channel. If you can get one you can get them all.

Example

Channel Number Channel Name Frequency Polarisation Band
104 Channel 4 10714 H LBH
125 More4 + 1 10714 H LBH
300 Film4 10714 H LBH
301 Film4 + 1 10714 H LBH
974 Channel 4 10714 H LBH

750 RTE Radio 1 10743 H LBH
751 RTE 2fm 10743 H LBH
752 RTE Lyric fm 10743 H LBH
753 RTE RnaG 10743 H LBH

This shows the first two transponders in the list 10714 H followed by 10743 H. (the actual file is colour coded to make the block clear). You could say check 104 and then 750. The fact that one is TV and the other radio is not relevant.

This may help

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

Switching the connections after the test checks that both connections are working properly

This forum will not let you upload a html web page file.

Last edited:
10847 is the transponder frequency in MHz (Megahertz) , V is the transponder polarisation (v is vertical, h is horizontal). The other numbers you don't have to worry about, but for reference 23000 is the Symbol rate (SR), 2/3 is the forward error correction FEC). Any channel not in the Freesat channel.txt list does not exist. Not able to access a Foxsat at the moment, as I said the down button on the remote may go down the list from 101.

If you download the .htm file I linked to it's organised in transponder blocks rather than channel numbers. Once downloaded double click it to open in your default browser. One transponder carries more than one channel. If you can get one you can get them all.

Example

Channel Number Channel Name Frequency Polarisation Band
104 Channel 4 10714 H LBH
125 More4 + 1 10714 H LBH
300 Film4 10714 H LBH
301 Film4 + 1 10714 H LBH
974 Channel 4 10714 H LBH

750 RTE Radio 1 10743 H LBH
751 RTE 2fm 10743 H LBH
752 RTE Lyric fm 10743 H LBH
753 RTE RnaG 10743 H LBH

This shows the first two transponders in the list 10714 H followed by 10743 H. (the actual file is colour coded to make the block clear). You could say check 104 and then 750. The fact that one is TV and the other radio is not relevant.

This may help

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

Switching the connections after the test checks that both connections are working properly

This forum will not let you upload a html web page file.

So I tried 104 and 750 and both worked (typed in). Powered off and switched connections and both worked.

I've actually forgotten what we are trying to solve now!

It just occurred to me that scrolling up with the channel button only scrolls through say TV channels and I have to change to radio (TV/radio button) to scroll through the radio channels, while typing in the channel always works.

So I tried 104 and 750 and both worked (typed in). Powered off and switched connections and both worked.

I've actually forgotten what we are trying to solve now!

It just occurred to me that scrolling up with the channel button only scrolls through say TV channels and I have to change to radio (TV/radio button) to scroll through the radio channels, while typing in the channel always works.

You have to check all the transponders in the file I asked you to download first before switching connections. Firstly did you download the file I asked you to ? If not why not ? I could post a text file but it would be rather pointless.

The whole point is trying to find out why you could not listen to a radio recording you should have been able to listen to.

You have to check all the transponders in the file I asked you to download first before switching connections. Firstly did you download the file I asked you to ? If not why not ? I could post a text file but it would be rather pointless.

The whole point is trying to find out why you could not listen to a radio recording you should have been able to listen to.

First, I did download the file. So the rather rude "If not, why not?" doesn't apply. The file is total gibberish to me. I've no idea what a transponder is - I was confusing it with "tuners" that you mentioned earlier and thought I had 2 transponders, not dozens of the things. I'll work through the 5 page of the file when next I get time and report back

The transponders are on the satellites - rebroadcasting the transmission from the ground stations out to the users.

First, I did download the file. So the rather rude "If not, why not?" doesn't apply. The file is total gibberish to me. I've no idea what a transponder is - I was confusing it with "tuners" that you mentioned earlier and thought I had 2 transponders, not dozens of the things. I'll work through the 5 page of the file when next I get time and report back

If you had said you had downloaded the file, I would have attempted to explain what you didn't understand.

I already posted a link to a thread with more explanation.

Find the channel you want to record using tuner 1 (note the coloured blocks identifying the transponders in cols 1-3)

The example I posted had just a few channels, where did you think the rest came from ? Just looking at the file it should have been clear the other channels were transmitted on different transponders.

It's not rude, frankly your posts are hard to understand. Why didn't you ask what a transponder is ?

I have no idea as to what you understand, however I have spent a long time trying to help and interpret your somewhat vague replies.

Like all digital TV multiple channels are carried on a single carrier frequency, In terrestrial broadcasting the carrier is known as a MUX, in satellite terms a transponder. Satellite merely adds a polarisation, your terrestrial TV transmitter has a fixed polarisation either vertical or horizontal.

A tuner extracts a channel from the many on a Mux/Transponder and allows it to be recorded or viewed. The Humax ones are particulary clever as they can extract two from a single MUX/Transponder. Had you got a Sky box if recording two you could not watch any other live channel at all.

Freesat channels (Freesat is just a programme guide), are broadcast from a group of satellites owned by SES Astra at 28.2E. Some of these channels are encrypted and require a Sky box to view. Others are broadcast without encryption (Free To Air). These can be viewed by most any satellite receiver (there are hundreds - 471 at present). Some of these pay to be included in the Freesat epg. You can view all of these on a Foxsat-hdr using non freesat mode.

http://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

Last edited:
It seems to me that:

A) The OP didn't understand there are limitations on what services can be received simultaneously;

B) The OP's receiver may be badly configured, so that further limitations are unnecessarily imposed.

If the OP works through the correct configuration procedure, whatever limitations then remain will be those that are necessary.

It seems to me that:

A) The OP didn't understand there are limitations on what services can be received simultaneously;

B) The OP's receiver may be badly configured, so that further limitations are unnecessarily imposed.

If the OP works through the correct configuration procedure, whatever limitations then remain will be those that are necessary.

The OP reports a restriction that should not be there, given the reported recordings at the time. He also confirmed same limitation in a test where all channels should be available.

I have just checked the programme up/down button on my Foxsat. On channel 101 pressing programme up moves to 102 103 104 etc.

Starting on 101 pressing programme down moves to 999 981 978

Starting on 695 Sonlife TV (The last TV channel before the block of Radio Channels - does not skip into the radio channels - you have to first press the TV/Radio button to switch to cycling up/down through the radio channels

So either the OP has a faulty remote, a faulty box or he is not pressing the programme up/down button at all (possibly the cursor up/down keys around the OK button)

Back