can only listen to certain radio programmes while recording TV

Okay, so I didn't call it "skew", but post 38 is correct in essence.

It's not correct in any sort of essence. How can slackening the lnb clamp and twisting it slightly be described as dish alignment ? Optimising skew is the last thing you check after aligning the dish and firmly locking it down. If it's a Sky dish the lnb skew is preset anyway for the great majority of the UK at 3. You only need a slight adjustment if you live somewhere like the North of Scotland (4). or the extreme South West (2) The direction the dish is pointing has no effect, the skew is determined by the orientation of the transmitting antenna in space and your physical location.

See the map here

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/LNB_skew.htm

As the OP can clearly get the two transponders, it adds nothing to the thread. As I already said it's far from a critical adjustment.

It used to be slightly more critical when the freesat transponder was on a much weaker Eutelsat 28A Pan European Beam. It's now on a much stronger UK spot beam.

It's not correct in any sort of essence. How can slackening the lnb clamp and twisting it slightly be described as dish alignment ? Optimising skew is the last thing you check after aligning the dish and firmly locking it down. If it's a Sky dish the lnb skew is preset anyway for the great majority of the UK at 3. You only need a slight adjustment if you live somewhere like the North of Scotland (4). or the extreme South West (2) The direction the dish is pointing has no effect, the skew is determined by the orientation of the transmitting antenna in space and your physical location.

See the map here

As the OP can clearly get the two transponders, it adds nothing to the thread. As I already said it's far from a critical adjustment.

It used to be slightly more critical when the freesat transponder was on a much weaker Eutelsat 28A Pan European Beam. It's now on a much stronger UK spot beam.

Actually, I'm an OAP, rather than an OP - this is why nothing new like this sticks in my brain any more :-((

How can slackening the lnb clamp and twisting it slightly be described as dish alignment?
I'm sure it would to a non-technical person, who would regard everything at the top end of the wire as "the dish". Adjustment of the skew is all part of the alignment procedure - even to me, as a technical person.

@ tombar. OP is forum abbreviation for Opening Post(er) (the person who started the thread, or Other Person.
You are the OP as you started the thread.

I'm sure it would to a non-technical person, who would regard everything at the top end of the wire as "the dish". Adjustment of the skew is all part of the alignment procedure - even to me, as a technical person.

I bet you all Sky fitters installing in England don't even touch the Skew adjustment. Your post was highly misleading, I can move my skew a long way in either direction before any issue is evident. Seems clear you haven't fitted many if any dishes. Your lnb posting was also way off the mark. The last time lnb's used like the one you referred to were fitted on Mk1 Sky dishes aligned on 19.2E for the Sky analogue services. God knows how long ago that finished, at the end universal lnbs were used.

Two red herrings in one thread is pretty damning. In both cases it was 100% clear neither had any bearing at all on the OP's original pair of posts.

Last edited:
As I already said it's far from a critical adjustment.
You'd be surprised actually when there's something strong on the opposite pol. how a little bit of mis-alignment can worsen the C/N ratio of your received signal, especially if you've not got much to start with. And it is VERY important if you're transmitting.
Having said that, it doesn't have anything like as much importance on your typical Sky/Freesat installation.

I don't understand the indignation. I'm trying to explain the basics in simple language, you're throwing him in at the deep end.

I don't understand the indignation. I'm trying to explain the basics in simple language, you're throwing him in at the deep end.

That's just pure wrong. You brought up a lnb that you will only find in a museum, and indicated that the skew adjustment is extremely critical (which is completely wrong). Did you read my post indicating there is a 7.6 degree difference in the optimum skew setting for Astra 2E compared to the rest. The standard setting which a Sky lnb is set to works fine. I actually have 100/100 % reception on pretty well all transponders (I do have a 60cm Zone 2 dish).

All you did is add information that is totally irrelevant. You indicated the OP may have issues that it was 100% clear at the time of posting simply did not exist.

You do have a habit of posting dodgy information and then for some reason seem to want to defend it, even when it is totally misleading.

Anyone else think my post about transmission polarisation, was clearer, more informative and less confusing to the OP ?

It was already clear that

The OP had a standard universal KU band lnb

He had access to all transponders, including the pair on AStra 2E that use a frequency gap of around 1MHz - He checked every transponder that is currently used by Freesat, information I supplied.

Last edited:
Back