Can the customised Foxsat act as a Client to stream from the 5000?

blackcow

Hi all - I've been using the Foxsat customised software for a few years - now I've got a Humax 5000 - the Foxsat shows up on it and I can stream recordings to it from the Foxsat (as a Server) - but can the customised Foxsat act as a Clint to stream from the 5000? In hope - Blackcow

By network file share rather than streaming - maybe.
Thanks for the reply - where do I find this network file share' - and aplogies to Raydon - I've just spotted this from him in 2011! - Sorry, no. The HDR can only act as a server as there is no way for a client application to interact with the Humax software.

If the Foxsat CF has the same facilities as the HDR-FOX CF, external network shares can be accessed as if they were USB drives. However, it doesn't seem likely your 5000T would provide the necessary network share.

The difficulty of providing a streaming client on the Foxsat is the same as it would be for a HDR-FOX (except the HDR-FOX has one built in):

(FAQ) I would like some Custom Firmware modifications that alter the way the HDR-FOX displays things on the TV

Not possible, no can do. The HDR-FOX (and HD-FOX) hardware (ie the electronics) is a "black box" - ie a mystery to us, hidden inside some very large scale integrated circuits with documentation Humax keep to themselves. We can guess the general architecture of what's inside, but not the detail. To compound the problem, the Humax software (which we can inspect) that operates the mystery hardware is also an undocumented lump of binary.​
The consequence is that we have no access to the video and audio streams sent out on the HDMI, SCART, and RCA socket, or the graphics overlays, and cannot affect them except in very limited indirect ways (one rare example being substituting our own set of digit graphics for the screensaver clock). So, do not ask for anything that needs to present output on-screen (eg a better photo album).​
What has been achieved with Custom Firmware is to provide a way in to the HDR-FOX's open source operating system so that our own applications can be run alongside the Humax application. These applications have access to everything the operating system has access to - ie networking, file system, and process status. With a very few rare exceptions, everything the CF does is by manipulating the files and file system, with command and control via a web browser or command line interface over the network.​

If the Foxsat CF has the same facilities as the HDR-FOX CF, external network shares can be accessed as if they were USB drives. However, it doesn't seem likely your 5000T would provide the necessary network share.
The FVP-5000T does provide a SAMBA server (Page 24 of the manual) but I can't get it to decrypt recordings. It also has a DLNA server and I can play SD content from the FVP-5000T on a Humax HDR-FOX T2 and I can copy decrypted recordings to a Windows 10 PC.

A network share of encrypted data seems of limited use. It might be more useful for putting stuff onto the 5000T.

Hi all - I've been using the Foxsat customised software for a few years - now I've got a Humax 5000 - the Foxsat shows up on it and I can stream recordings to it from the Foxsat (as a Server) - but can the customised Foxsat act as a Clint to stream from the 5000? In hope - Blackcow

The Foxsat cannot stream external content without the required sidecar files that Raydons AV2HDR can create. As you have found the other way round is not possible. SD recordings can be copied to a PC and made playable as above.

Back