Can The HD Really Be This Full?

John Jeffrey

I have a total of 12 recorded programmes waiting to be watched, about 20 hours altogether. Yet the free space shows up as only around 36%, which is surely much too low?

I have a sneaky suspicion that programmes I have watched and deleted haven't released their space back to be re-used, though I know of no way of checking this. One thing that makes me suspicious is that a series I set to record before I went away on holiday recorded only half of the first episode, then no more episodes at all; but perhaps this is a coincidence/red herring? Other series that I preset at the same time were recorded successfully.

Am I right in thinking that there should be more than 36% free space available on my HD? If so, is there anything I can do to increase it? I assume a format would do this but I don't want to lose the recordings already on the HD.

These old Humax boxes use proprietary filesystems which are known to leak space and/or corrupt themselves.
Your only solution is to reformat the disk.

You may be able to recover the files (I've never had a 9150 to try it on, but it works on a 9200) by taking the disk out of the Humax,
connecting it to a PC and using a package called Humaxrw.
Then you have to put it back in the Humax to reformat it. Then take it out again to put the files back on from the PC.
Then put it back in the Humax again.
It's a right old faff, but the only way if you want any chance of keeping your recordings.

You may be able to recover the files (I've never had a 9150 to try it on, but it works on a 9200) by taking the disk out of the Humax,
connecting it to a PC and using a package called Humaxrw.
Then you have to put it back in the Humax to reformat it. Then take it out again to put the files back on from the PC.
It is the putting the files back on a 9150/9300 that is a possible problem. There are several reports saying it doesn't work and one or two saying that it does work. It definitely works on a 9200

It is the putting the files back on a 9150/9300 that is a possible problem. There are several reports saying it doesn't work and one or two saying that it does work. It definitely works on a 9200
Thanks for the advice. I have formatted the HD without trying to rescue the recordings. I decided that life was too short to spend a lot of time on trying to save just a dozen recordings, with every prospect of having no success, by the sound of it.
But what a pity the Hummy design doesn't make it easier to archive programmes as a matter of course. After all, with a USB port already there for other purposes, how difficult would it have been? Dismantling the kit sounds a bit too Heath Robinson for my tastes.

After all, with a USB port already there for other purposes
What other purposes would they be? As far as I know only the early 9150/9300 have USB ports and they have never served any purpose. I have always assumed there was a decision taken to remove the rather clunky access to recordings that the 9200 provided but the hardware design had been finalised.

What other purposes would they be? As far as I know only the early 9150/9300 have USB ports and they have never served any purpose. I have always assumed there was a decision taken to remove the rather clunky access to recordings that the 9200 provided but the hardware design had been finalised.
Mine is a 9150. Although I have never used the USB port, I understood it was there to allow updates from a PC but didn't allow traffic in the opposite direction.

Back