Can the HDR-FOX-T2 Properly Display 2.35:1 Source Material?

enz01

OK, so I’ve got my new HDR-T2 (replacing an ageing Topfield 5800) hooked up to my Bravia KDL-40V5500 HD TV and am getting to grips with it. The Telly is set to Wide (16:9) and the Hummy is set to a Screen Ratio of 16:9, a Display Format of Auto and a VFormat of 1080p.

As expected, this set-up works fine for playing back some ‘TV Episode’ AVIs (reported by GSpot as 624x352 XviD) but when playing back 2.35:1 ‘Film’ AVIs (640x272 XviD), the picture is slightly squashed. I would assume that this is because the 12% top and bottom black bars are not being displayed and, consequently, the picture is being vertically stretched to compensate.

Unfortunately, there appears to be no combination of settings on the Humax and TV which can display 2.35:1 AVIs, with the correct aspect ratio. In all cases, the picture remains squashed and there’s no sign of the black bars which I would normally expect to see with 2.35:1 source on a 16:9 screen – presumably, this is something to do with the Humax upscaler.

So, is there are way of ‘persuading’, my Hummy to show 2.35:1 source with the correct aspect ratio or do I need to consider reworking the aspect ratio with Handbrake or similar. If the latter, has anyone got any suggestions as to what my target size should be, given a starting point of 640x272?

Many thanks

Nuts, I did so many searches here and didn't manage to find that thread (which solves my problem) :oops:

Thanks for your patience and help

It helps when you know what's here already, and also to step outside the forum search and use Google - including the term "site:hummy.tv" in the search box.

It's a great solution to what seems like a reasonably common problem. May be worth adding to the wiki?

The difference lies in whether you are getting your coat (to leave) or telling someone else to get their coat (because you are offering them a ride)

Back