Can you rewind a Live Broadcast and Record from the Start of a show?

All I was saying is that one cannot make assumptions about what is normal or likely based on what is naturally a limited experience, and certainly not declare what a specific unit actually does without testing that specific unit (or at the very least examining the product specifications).

What may be rational or logical for a unit to do is irrelevant. Product design and development is always pressurised by cost and timescale. Retailers need units to meet specific calendar periods, and to meet specific price points, so no matter what the engineers think about a design's readiness it has to go to production when it's "good enough" and not wait until it is "perfect".

"Dozens" of DVRs?? Do you keep breaking them, or do they prove unsatisfactory in some way? (BTW: a DVR has removable media. Recorders that are principally to fixed hard disk are PVRs.)

I confirm this is correct. It was a pleasant surprise when I did this for the first time as on the HDR you have to rewind it first.
So I wonder how you record just a section of a programme?!? With HDR-FOX: wind back to the start of the clip, press record (playback jumps to "now"), wait for end of clip, press stop. In adopting what some people consider the logical approach, the 4000 may have lost some functionality.

Interesting I have no idea how to record just part of a program.

Overall I am pretty pleased with the 4000 now they have made big improvements to the guide, but my main annoyance is the woefully slow, long winded and sluggish interface. They need to give the recording list and schedule a makeover like they did with the guide. This really jars now with huge icons and menus (like the guide used to be) with the pretty slick (if slow to load) guide.

You have to rewind first on the Humax PVR-9200T too. Which was one of the most popular Freeview+ (SD) PVRs ever made.

You can't do this at all on any Youview PVR which aren't obscure either. BT and TalkTalk have made a business out of owning them.

My First DVR was a Philips one
I suspect this was a DVR not PVR and if your experience is mostly DVRs then it's not that relevant here. DVRs work entirely differently from PVRs. For one thing they all transcode the DVB-T (Freeview) signal into a format compatible with DVD. No PVR does this as it doesn't need to.

So I wonder how you record just a section of a programme?!? With HDR-FOX: wind back to the start of the clip, press record (playback jumps to "now"), wait for end of clip, press stop. In adopting what some people consider the logical approach, the 4000 may have lost some functionality.
You can't (I expect) anymore edit recordings either to delete parts you don't want.

That said. This requirement must be super rare.

Overall I am pretty pleased with the 4000 now they have made big improvements to the guide, but my main annoyance is the woefully slow, long winded and sluggish interface. They need to give the recording list and schedule a makeover like they did with the guide. This really jars now with huge icons and menus (like the guide used to be) with the pretty slick (if slow to load) guide.
Thanks Steppy. That does indeed sound annoying.

My Youview Humax DTR-T2000 is generally pretty fast to use (there's a tiny lag) and the whole interface is slick. I believe this is why Youview don't allow 3rd parties to change the interface whereas Freeview (Play) does. It has it's pluses and minuses.

In the DTR-2000 marketing material it mentions "a new faster chip". No doubt the DTR-1000 got speed complaints. The DTR-2000 is also a "Version 2" (technically "Version 3" if wer're including the cosmetic DTR-1010) released 2 years after the DTR-1000.

I think I've decided to wait for the next model. I'm generally quite happy with my Youview box even if I could do things with my ancient Humax PVR-9200T (Freeview+ SD) I can't do now.

Last edited:
That said. This requirement must be super rare.
I use it from time to time "because I can". If I suddenly couldn't I would be annoyed, as would anyone else who used to have the facility but now find they can't.

The HDR-FOX way of working allows for both, and is therefore more flexible than this fixed idea that all recordings must start at the beginning of a programme.

However, it must be much more convenient to most people to just press record and have the whole show recorded rather than having to rewind the time shift buffer. Not as flexible, as BH says, but much more convenient. If you really only want part of a show, get out the video editor (If you can get the recording off the PVR in the first place) otherwise, just FF to the bit you want.

All I was saying is that one cannot make assumptions about what is normal or likely based on what is naturally a limited experience.....)

actually we can
and we allllllll do it
allllll the time

It's called logic

I once dropped in apple and it fell to the ground
I do not need to drop a cantaloupe to know it will do *exactly* the same

And I've never even seen a cantaloupe!!!!

In the case of a digital recording, if the whole program has been recorded to memory it's easier logical useful and beneficial to save the whole program to HDD

Any other possible outcome is more difficult to implement less useful less logical

Ergo they all work this way with a few exceptions that should be on the scrap heap for the same reasons

Sent from my GEM-702L using Tapatalk

I use it from time to time "because I can". If I suddenly couldn't I would be annoyed, as would anyone else who used to have the facility but now find they can't.
This raises an interesting point of simplicity vs. complexity.

Many of the Humax home brew features users love but many users never touch and would find them overly complex. It's a hard one to call. I like more options but I, like most here, are technically minded. Many people hate more options.

For instance I used to find the PVR-9200T's Editing features. I presume the HD-FOX T2 doesn't have the same editing functions?

For instance I used to find the PVR-9200T's Editing features. I presume the HD-FOX T2 doesn't have the same editing functions?
Only with custom firmware; you can't even export decrypted recordings from HD-FOX without custom firmware (you can with HDR-FOX).

Back