Can you run custom firmware on the 2000T?

marada

I wondered if you can run custom firmware on the 2000T to enable copying of recordings to a hard drive without encryption. I know on the HDR-FOX T2 the custom firmware allows this, but has anyoune had any luck with the 2000T? I know when I checked a while ago this was not possible.

It's still not possible and probably never will be. I believe you can use Foxy to unprotect HD content. SD content will decrypt on copy anyway to USB attached storage.

It's still not possible and probably never will be. I believe you can use Foxy to unprotect HD content. SD content will decrypt on copy anyway to USB attached storage.
Your belief is correct.
It is a minor inconvenience to have to go through the Foxy process - but all content can be copied and decrypted from a 2000T to USB storage.

It's still not possible and probably never will be.

Why do you think it never will be? Have Humax done a proper job of protecting the upgrade (cryptographic signing etc)? Just wonder what makes you say that.

Nintendo Wii has been cracked, though the 3DS hasn't. And Nintendo put a lot more effort in than Humax.

Why do you think it never will be? Have Humax done a proper job of protecting the upgrade (cryptographic signing etc)? Just wonder what makes you say that.
I think the issue is that the HDR-2000T doesn't offer many advantages in the hardware or standard software and so the people with the skills don't currently have an incentive to investigate. The Youview or Freeview Play boxes might be more interesting but they are locked down more tightly.

Makes sense. Thanks. If one falls into my hands (I bought one for my mum) I might have a play. But right now I'm running two Foxes, so as you say.... why bother?

Isn't the 2000 a legacy box already? I don't know that anyone is working on it. And it is apparently a lot harder to get in to (not that I know much about such things).
Nintendo Wii has been cracked, though the 3DS hasn't.
There's probably a lot more effort going in to it.

Isn't the 2000 a legacy box already?
Unfortunately it appears as though it is a legacy box. Although it has some faults or problems you can get to the content. More recent boxes (i.e. the 4000T) have more problems and it may not be possible to decrypt to USB or stream HiDef material at all.
I don't know that anyone is working on it. And it is apparently a lot harder to get in to (not that I know much about such things).
There was the thread
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/idea-foxy-max-pc-utility-developer-needed.5491/
This was trying to provide some of the functionality (well, a very limited subset) of the CF via the ftp & DLNA interfaces.
I was looking into this. The lack of interest of others means that I'm only tweaking my version for my own amusement (oo-er!).
I have no idea how to crack the firmware - and no intention of "bricking" my box.
Does nobody read anything?
You know the answer to that without asking!:D

Back