Cannot access "Media".

Mac

A few days ago whilst using my Freeview HDR-FOX T2, a notice appeared on the screen urging me to re-tune so I would be able to use a red-button thingy for watching the Commonwealth Games. I duly did so thinking it was just a straightforward update to the software. I now find that I cannot access the Media section in which I have a fair amount of recorded programmes which I wish to keep. (The picture also looks worse, but first things first!).

Furthermore, each time I switch on the FOX T2, I get an alert..."The HDD storage must be formatted to use recording functions. Press OK to go to the Data Storage menu".
When I reach the "Format Storage" it tells me...."Do you want to format the storage? All files in the storage will be deleted......Yes/No."
Obviously I don't want to lose all my previous recordings, so what do I do?

Install the customised firmware and run disk maintenance. The details are on the Wiki. If you don't want to do this, then your only option is to format the disk and lose all your recordings. The latter may or may not fix the problem permanently - there may be underlying problems with the disk. If there are, the former will probably fix them.
Your choice...

a notice appeared on the screen urging me to re-tune so I would be able to use a red-button thingy for watching the Commonwealth Games. I duly did so thinking it was just a straightforward update to the software.
It's not any kind of "update to the software", it's just a broadcast network message informing you that there are new services available which require a re-scan to add to the tuning database. I ignore mine and press yellow to clear it.

As prpr says, some kind of cock-up has occurred in the process and the custom firmware disk maintenance is the only hope you have of recovering your recordings. See Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click).

It's not any kind of "update to the software", it's just a broadcast network message informing you that there are new services available which require a re-scan to add to the tuning database. I ignore mine and press yellow to clear it.

As prpr says, some kind of cock-up has occurred in the process and the custom firmware disk maintenance is the only hope you have of recovering your recordings. See Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click).

Thanks for all your advice.
I have to say that all the fixes were beyond my capabilities, so reluctantly I went down the route of "All files in the storage will be deleted." (There goes my large collection of "The New Yankee Workshop"!!).
Strangely, the wee notice in the top corner now says that I have "427 GB available". Now if my actions have deleted the storage, (and the Media storage IS empty), how come I have only 427 GB available instead of 500GB?

This is a common misconception. There are a number of factors but the main one is that disk sizes are quoted using a different base to other computer aspects.
Disks are measured in GB which uses a base of 1000. So a GB is 1000 cubed bytes. The computer in general reports in GiB which uses a base of 1024 so a GiB is 1024 cubed bytes.

There are other factors affecting what the Hummy will report like reserved space etc (discussions elsewhere in this forum) but ...

If I have misquoted anything then I'm sure somebody else will be along to correct me.

EDIT: I suspect the difference stems from some "bright Herbert" in marketing who, years ago, thought it was a good ploy to make disks seem bigger than they really were. Or didn't understand the concept of binary ...

I have to say that all the fixes were beyond my capabilities
It's not difficult, many people have been encouraged to have a go and been successful. It is only a case of following instructions to the letter.

@HarveyB: it would have been a lot easier to refer to entry "KiB, MiB, GiB" in the Glossary (click).

Back