Cannot access update site

Daveyuk

I have the CF installed, but when I try to Update it now, I get a 'No connection' error. I can do a traceroute to hummypkg.org.uk, and it stops at a place called nodefour.net. They are not interested. My ISP has done lots of tests, and they can complete the trace from their place, but I cannot. Yet I can get to the website.
Does anybody have any idea what the problem might be? A different PC made no difference. Can I download the individual update files from the website, if I can decide what I want, and if so, how do I install them to the Humax? I was really hoping for a full Update.
If this is not the correct place to ask, please redirect me to somewhere that could help.

What exactly are you doing to perform this "update"? Talk me through the steps.

The PC makes no difference - the PC is used only as a web page browser to display a control console generated and acted on at the HDR-FOX itself.

What exactly are you doing to perform this "update"? Talk me through the steps.

The PC makes no difference - the PC is used only as a web page browser to display a control console generated and acted on at the HDR-FOX itself.

I go with my browser to my Humax PVR as usual. I have full access to it, and I can do anything that does not require internet access.
One method is to navigate to the Package Management page, and press either the Update Package List form Internet , or Update All Packages button.
Alternatively, I go to the Upgrades tab, select an Upgrade, and press Install. Whichever method I choose, it times out after a short period with a message telling me to that I have no internet connectivity, and to check my DNS.
I do have internet connectivity, from the same router that connects the PC to the Humax, and I have tried different DNSs, including the the one used by Zen, who do not experience the same inability to connect as I do.
The Humax happily connects to the internet to use BBC iPlayer, etc, so it does talk to the world outside.

Although I agree with the 'using other PC' advice, it was requested by Zen as another item to be eliminated.
I am willing to try a different update method if I can find how to do it. I see individual update packages, but do not know how to install them if I can download them. Maybe instructions are there somewhere, I just need to find them.

Strange.

To attempt to diagnose the problem, you can Telnet in (which will bring up a menu at the Telnet console) and gain access to the command line using the "cli" (command line interface) menu option. You will need your Humax PIN as a password, which is "0000" unless you changed it. On the command line you will then be able to use "ping" etc to test the Internet connectivity. It strikes me that your router is blocking the path.

The command line also provides access to the raw tools for installing or updating packages, either directly from the download or by first copying the download to a UPD and accessing them from there. If you browse the resources available via the wiki you will also find there are self-installing "bundles" - when written to a UPD and executed as if a normal firmware update they install without network connectivity.

I am no expert at the various command line incantations, so I will leave them for the knowledgable to explain.

Note that the Update Package List operation only refreshes the package information on the "Available" tab, but is essential before updating any individual (or all) packages.

Strange.

To attempt to diagnose the problem, you can Telnet in (which will bring up a menu at the Telnet console) and gain access to the command line using the "cli" (command line interface) menu option. You will need your Humax PIN as a password, which is "0000" unless you changed it. On the command line you will then be able to use "ping" etc to test the Internet connectivity. It strikes me that your router is blocking the path.

The command line also provides access to the raw tools for installing or updating packages, either directly from the download or by first copying the download to a xxx and accessing them from there. If you browse the resources available via the wiki you will also find there are self-installing "bundles" - when written to a xxx and executed as if a normal firmware update they install without network connectivity.

I am no expert at the various command line incantations, so I will leave them for the knowledgable to explain.

Note that the Update Package List operation only refreshes the package information on the "Available" tab, but is essential before updating any individual (or all) packages.
Thanks for the response. My only experience of using Telnet was when I was reconfiguring my router yesterday, under the word-by-word instructions of the guy from Zen, so I would indeed need help from somebody to know what to do once in there. With guidance, I am willing to try.
Are you saying that if I download a specific package, such as the one for disabling dso, I then put it on a memory stick and restart the Humax, just as when I originally installed the CF? Or is that not the thing to do, and it will remove what I have already? Or do I have to have CLI access to update this way?It's always tricky doing stuff for the first time, once it's been done once, then the fear is gone.
Note: Your UPD links prevented my posting a reply until I changed them to xxx. That seems to work!

Thanks for the response. My only experience of using Telnet was when I was reconfiguring my router yesterday, under the word-by-word instructions of the guy from Zen, so I would indeed need help from somebody to know what to do once in there. With guidance, I am willing to try.
Are you saying that if I download a specific package, such as the one for disabling dso, I then put it on a memory stick and restart the Humax, just as when I originally installed the CF? Or is that not the thing to do, and it will remove what I have already? Or do I have to have CLI access to update this way?It's always tricky doing stuff for the first time, once it's been done once, then the fear is gone.
Note: Your UPD links prevented my posting a reply until I changed them to xxx. That seems to work!
Update:

Telnet, then CLI, then ping and traceroute show exactly the same behaviour, ie time-outs and no result.

Are you saying that if I download a specific package, such as the one for disabling dso, I then put it on a memory stick and restart the Humax
Yes, you don't have to install using the command line, there are instructions on the WiKi HERE , if you download the 'bundles' from the Packages Page you will get all associated files needed to support the main package

Last edited:
Yes, you don't have to install using the command line, there are instructions on the WiKi xxxx , if you download the 'bundles' from the vvvv you will get all associated files needed to support the main package
Sounds like a winner, assuming that I can download the packages!
I'll post an update when I have tried it.
Many thanks.

IMO it would be better to get to the root of your problems, even if you temporarily use package bundles as a work-around. I'm sure somebody will be along with advice soon.

IMO it would be better to get to the root of your problems, even if you temporarily use package bundles as a work-around. I'm sure somebody will be along with advice soon.
I agree on both points. But I have exhausted my knowledge of attempting to fix it, as well as Zen's, so I will leave it as it is unless somebody else can indeed help.

May I take this opportunity to say Thanks for the CF and all the support available, it is much appreciated.

I have the CF installed, but when I try to Update it now, I get a 'No connection' error.
Does the error look like this?
Code:
!!  ERROR - No network connectivity to package repository  !!

Check your Internet connection and DNS service and then try again.
Have you changed any firewall settings since you first installed?

Does the error look like this?
Code:
!!  ERROR - No network connectivity to package repository  !!

Check your Internet connection and DNS service and then try again.
Have you changed any firewall settings since you first installed?
Since I use Linux, there is no firewall as Windows describes it. iptables, configured via a GUI (gufw), is used, but I have not done anything to that for months, longer than before I bought the Humax. I have upgraded from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04, but I tried 12.04, with no difference.
But you have reminded me that I updated my HOSTS file a couple of months ago, so I will delve into that tomorrow, maybe even bypass it for testing.
Thanks for the memory jolt, I will report what happens.
But another question: Is it not the Humax, rather than the PC, that is trying to access the package? If so, I know of no firewall on that at all.

If that is the message you're getting then it means that the Humax can't ping the repository server, so something must be blocking it on your network. The Humax doesn't actually need ping to download anything but recent version of the web interface use it to check that the connectivity is working rather than giving an obscure error message.

In your case, if things like iPlayer are working fine then it sounds like ping (or the ping responses) is being blocked somewhere - most likely the router.

You can check by running the 'opkg update' command from the Humax command line. If it is just ping that's blocked then that should work.

Code:
humax# opkg update
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz.
Inflating http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /mod/var/opkg/base.

If that is the message you're getting then it means that the Humax can't ping the repository server, so something must be blocking it on your network. The Humax doesn't actually need ping to download anything but recent version of the web interface use it to check that the connectivity is working rather than giving an obscure error message.

In your case, if things like iPlayer are working fine then it sounds like ping (or the ping responses) is being blocked somewhere - most likely the router.

You can check by running the 'opkg update' command from the Humax command line. If it is just ping that's blocked then that should work.

Code:
humax# opkg update
And that works! From what you are saying, it looks as though my system would update IF it did not send out a confirmatory ping, that doesn't work, first.
Is there any way of disabling the ping? Traceroute also fails, but I doubt that the Humax is sending one of those out.

This is quite a fascinating situation: It doesn't need a ping to work, but uses it to confirm a connection. There is a connection, but the ping used to confirm it fails. Kind of a twisted Catch-22.

Indeed. I've just changed that. The latest version uses a real web connection to test connectivity rather than a ping. To upgrade, do:

Code:
humax# opkg update && opkg upgrade webif

and from then on you should be fine.

Why would a router block an outgoing ping? I can understand it blocking an incoming ping.

But another question: Is it not the Humax, rather than the PC, that is trying to access the package? If so, I know of no firewall on that at all.
Your router/modem almost certainly has some firewall functionality.

It could be the ping replies that are being blocked, although most firewalls are stateful at least for some protocols so should allow responses in if they correspond to an outgoing ping..

Indeed. I've just changed that. The latest version uses a real web connection to test connectivity rather than a ping. To upgrade, do:

Code:
humax# opkg update && opkg upgrade webif

and from then on you should be fine.
"
>>> opkg update

Updating package meta information
Done.

Updating diagnostic meta information
Done.
Operation complete."..

.... says it all! Thanks.

Why would a router block an outgoing ping? I can understand it blocking an incoming ping.

Your router/modem almost certainly has some firewall functionality.
True. I am way out beyond my knowledge here anyway, but part of the testing that I did on the 'phone with Zen included temporarily reconfiguring my router as a test router, which I would think eliminated much of the normal internal programming. But I can't be sure.
But now that I can do the updates, and this was the only connection problem I knew about or experienced, I will now go back to a normal life!
With thanks to all who have provided help and support.

Back