Cannot connect to network. Please check your internet or network setting

Ann

When I press the TV Portal button, I'm now getting the above message (which I first started getting a couple of years or so ago). In Settings > System > Internet Setting > Configure LAN, it just says "Network disconnected".

I was able to use the TV Portal fine and to connect via WebIF right after installing the custom firmware and running Fix-disk to try to solve my rebooting loop problem, a few days ago. I haven't unplugged my Ethernet cable or done anything else to it (I plan to install a replacement hard drive but that hasn't arrived yet).

I did try unplugging the cable and replugging it. I also tried turning off my device using the power switch at the back and powering it back on, but I'm getting the same message. It also seems to be set now to a different IP address from when the network connection was working. I tried to change the IP address manually back to what it was before when it was working, but I just got "Network connection is unplugged" when I hit Apply. I also unplugged the cable, turned off the power switch, turned it back on and then plugged the cable back in, but still got the same message "Cannot connect to network etc".

I don't know if this means my Fox T2 is just dying overall so there's no point even trying to replace the hard drive. I should mention that the network problem isn't new, it started a couple of years or so ago so I stopped trying to access the TV Portal.

I also tried resetting it to Factory Default (yet again). But that didn't work. Has anyone got any ideas please? (This weekend I'll try a different cable to see, but I suspect it's not that.)

Have a look at your router for connection/activity lights on the port that is connected to the Hummy. Have you tried resetting your router? Is your Hummy set to obtain its IP address from the router, or set to manually set the IP address?

Are you able to access the Humax via Webif and/or telnet?
Is it just the Portal that has connectivity problems?
Do you have any of the Portal packages installed? Try removing them

The Portal has never been one of the Humax's better features

I acquired a £10 Now-TV box for access to some of the catch up services that aren't available via the Portal.

Thanks for your replies Trev, Mymsman and Black Hole.

When it wasn't working I couldn't connect via WebIf either, though I didn't try telnet.

Everything else that's connected to the same router is fine.

I think there must be an intermittent fault with the Ethernet cable. When I tried using a different cable but with the same router port, it worked again - both the TV portal and Webif. I'll buy new cable that's long enough and hope that will fix it for good (the cable I used to test it is a trip hazard!).

Reboot first. Always a good idea and absolutely free. It might also be an intermittent connection at one end of the 'faulty' net cable that removing and replacing might fix. Give it a good pulling in and out to well re-seat it. Try using it to connect a different device. If it fails on that, then it would appear that your diagnosis was correct. You could always take it to your local PC shop and ask them to re-terminate it for you. Must be cheaper than buying a new made up one.

You could always take it to your local PC shop and ask them to re-terminate it for you.
I don't know whether to :rolling: or :frantic:.
Must be cheaper than buying a new made up one.
Assuming they had a suitable stock of bits and a crimper and could be bothered to prepare the end, it would take more time than it's worth.

I have the same or similar problem occasionally. No connection and instead of showing the reserved ip address I've allocated to the Humax in the router the box displays a different ip address and won't reconnect.

Removing and reinserting the network cable from/into the back of the Humax seems to trigger an automatic reconnection every time.

If you've got lots of kit connected to your network I'd recommend reserving ip addresses in your router to avoid potential clashes.

Kewal

One of these or even a better deal Here and a bit of cat5/6,
5mins max either end. Job done with exactly the right length cable for next to nothing. Then charge a small amount to your friends to make up bespoke cables for them and get your money back.

Thanks all.

Black Hole and Trev - yes, after rebooting the router it started working again with the old cable in the same router port. Very strange that swapping to another cable also worked *before* the reboot. Thanks for the suggestions about cable termination etc. Given my lack of manual dexterity, for me personally, rather than fiddling with tools and cables I've just ordered another long cable - no harm having a spare Ethernet cable I reckon (I could use it for a Now-TV box like Mymsman, given how poor the Humax TV Portal's range of apps is).

Kewal I did try removing and reinserting several times at the T2 end previously, but that didn't work. Maybe I should have tried doing that at the router end of the cable too in case it was that end that was dodgy. I'll assign the T2 a fixed IP address as you suggest, I do have different devices that connect to my home network from time to time so maybe it gets confused, though I suspect the issue is more with the cable/router.

Thanks everyone again for all your help.

Back