Cannot get access to Humax (custom firmware) from browser

I just use the Windows one; nowt wrong with it now the CF Telnet service accepts Windows line ends.

To connect to a Telnet service from the Windows Telnet command line "o <IP_address>" (o = "open").

HERE'S how to enable telnet in W10.
That's fantastic. Much easier than going through the Windows setup menus to enable Telnet.

Google is your friend my friend.
When in Telnet, enter a question mark for a list of commands.
Why bother with Putty when the Windows Telnet client is more than adequate for Hummy use? Putty is probably better if you do a lot of that sort of stuff though.
"o <IP_address>"
Or "o <hostname> in my case, hostname is "FoxT2"

That all looks OK to me. I now suspect the homeplugs.
I don't understand why everyone's jumping on the potential networking issue here. It is possible but not the most likely problem.
This:
"This site can’t be reached. 192.168.1.11 refused to connect."
indicates (refused being the key word) that the something on that IP address could be reached but isn't running a web server.

The most likely causes to consider before networking are therefore:
  • The Humax is not/no-longer running custom firmware;
  • The web server is broken in some way.
So, if the OP follows my suggestion to use telnet to do 'upgrade' and 'fixweb' we'll soon find out which.

Dr Bones - If you follow the wiki page I pointed you at, the process is pretty straightforward.

Google is your friend my friend.
That's how I found out how to enable Telnet through the menus.

Why bother with Putty when the Windows Telnet client is more than adequate for Hummy use? Putty is probably better if you do a lot of that sort of stuff though.
Agreed.

Or "o <hostname> in my case, hostname is "FoxT2"
No use if you haven't set up a host name in the CF.

I don't understand why everyone's jumping on the potential networking issue here. It is possible but not the most likely problem.
I'm not; it's another branch of inquiry, and you've covered the faulty-CF branch.

It never hurts to simplify the networking when faced with an unknown problem - eliminate all possible complications, get something (anything) working, then re-introduce the complications one by one and test each time to see when things break.

Last edited:
My reasoning was there could be something sharing that address with the Humax which might be causing the failure to respond, hence my suggestion to see what the routed thought was connected.

there could be something sharing that address with the Humax which might be causing the failure to respond, hence my suggestion to see what the routed thought was connected
Exactly that. That's also why I queried his previous use of a static IP which seems to be within the DHCP pool of his router. The OP has been asked on a couple of occasions what the router says about the Hummy IP address, but he has not responded to this direct question other than to say
Now I've put it back on DHCP, it is still on the same IP address.
Is that what the Hummy says or what the router says?

There's an easy test to check whether an HD/HDR-FOX is properly connected to the network: does the TV Portal run?

I had this problem, following a package update (following a 3.10->3.12 update). I could ping it the box and it turned out the web server wasn't running.

Telnet etc. got the web i/f back. Fixweb did complain a bit e.g. about jim.xconv, but I got the web i/f back and everything there seems happy,

Back