Cannot get to web interface after firmware install

However a wired connection shouldn't stop access to it as a 'Guest' WiFi connection would.

True. But routers still have a habit of not registering a device properly. The fact remains that the link from the HDR-FOX through the router to the Humax servers is proven, so the problem is with the remainder.

He obviously thinks he knows better, so let him get in with it. I get the same trouble on the Raspberry Pi forum where hobbyist software cobblers think they know more about how to connect external circuits to the GPIO pins than I do, when they came on complaining their RPi has been fried.

Ive already said that its not setup like that on the router. doesnt matter whether its possible, its not set, and the router is not blocking access. Chromecast would be blocked too if you were right and its not, and ive tried cable - cable and wifi - wifi. Dont know why this is relevant?

Routers dont register devices properly? So you're saying despite DHCP working on the Humax, its not really 'registered'? Can you back that up?

Last edited:
Ive already said that its not setup like that on the router. doesnt matter whether its possible
The reason people keep raising this is that you chose to say "consumer routers wouldnt let you do that anyway ". Anyway moving on can you clarify whether or not you can ping the Humax from the computer?

Routers dont register devices properly? So you're saying despite DHCP working on the Humax, its not really 'registered'? Can you back that up?
Yep. Network connectivity problems... reboot router... connectivity problems go away. Been there, done that, got it stamped on my forehead. We don't much like newbies telling us we don't know what we're talking about (or at least I don't).

OK, so there are a couple of things you can try to prove the basic functionality. The first is to eliminate the router by making a direct Ethernet connection between the HDR-FOX and a PC. This will not allow the second stage of the CF installation process (because there is no access to the Internet this way), but at least you should get the installation web page up on a PC web browser.

It doesn't matter whether you use a cross-over wire or not. The key to success is to use ipconfig on the command line to find out what the PC's current network settings are, then use manual configuration of the HDR-FOX to match the mask and subnet but pick a different overall IP address. (It's much easier to do that than persuade Windows to alter the PC's settings.)

The second approach is to use WiFi and a phone hot-spot. When I go to service the HDR-FOX I have in a non-network environment, I use my Samsung smart phone (Android) to provide a 4G connection and enable its hot-spot. The HDR-FOX is fitted with a WiFi dongle (which needs to be told to look for the access point, or rebooted, once the hot-spot is present), and it can then access iPlayer etc and the CF repository. I also link my iPad, which can then also access the Internet and the HDR-FOX (the phone is providing a router as well as a WAN link).

Either of the above will eliminate your router from the equation, so you can see what is supposed to happen.

It doesn't matter whether you use a cross-over wire or not.
I've had problems doing that between various PCs and kit before. You'd think it ought to work most of the time, but it's surprising how often it fails. Always better to go via a dumb switch of any sort from the last 25 years or so (or even a hub!). You can see the link lights easily as well which is another source of information.
Anyway, I agree that direct connection and static IP addresses is the next step - I just CBA'd to reply. And check the arp table after you've tried a Ping to see if the correct MAC address is there.

We won't be able to advise until you say more!
I cannot connect via webif, get 'took too long to respond '. Either with Windows 10 laptop or Android phone. I have long ago set the Humax to manual 192.168.1.3. And used to be able to access it with webif. Recently I changed from a wifi aerial plugged in the back to a wired connection via a Powerline adapter to the router. And changed router some time ago, but think it was before I last connected OK. RS says I need to update to the latest rs on the Humax. I updated the CF again via USB. I can ping it OK. I can find nothing on the router config (a Sagecom, with John Lewis software) which seems to restrict access - it shows the ip address. On the laptop have tried switching off the Macafee firewall, and also connecting to the Humax directly with an ethernet cable. When I disconnected the router from the telephone, to ensure I was safe, the 192.168.1.3 weirdly disappeared from the router's config. I may not have tried all these things in all combinations.

Surely 192.168.1.3 would normally be within the router's DHCP range unless Dave has limited the IP range allocated to DHCP? (like wot you should when using fixed IPs). But he does say that he can Ping it, but could the reply be coming from 'something else' that has been dished out 192.168.1.3 by the router?

Go back to basics: set the Humax to DHCP and build from there.
Then give the Humax a reserved address in the DHCP range at the router, along with anything else that needs to have a known address.

That way you'll still know where stuff is on the network but it's all handled via the router interface.

wired connection via a Powerline adapter to the router
11 to 10 that's the problem. DHCP won't work at boot, because the HomePlug link takes too long to wake up and the DHCP request gets lost... so default values are adopted which won't connect. The way to test this link is to go into Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting and apply DHCP manually (once the link between HomePlugs has had time to establish, coming out of low-power mode). If DHCP settings are received which make sense on your network, that proves the link through to the router. If not - the HomePlug link isn't working.

Last edited:
IPlayer is working OK.
Tried switching to DHCP. ip address now 192.168.1.8. Can ping that.
Trying to webif with Chrome browser no longer get 'too long to respond' just a blank tab. But looks like the correct icon appears on the tab (see attached).
In Windows Explorer I can see MediaTomb and browse the Humax filesystem.
There are a couple of other things on the network (MyCloud Backup disk wired, XAVN is Powerline, Living Room TV is Chromecast, Sonos, both wirelessly, ), see attached.

Attachments

• Network.PNG
    Network.PNG
    49 KB · Views: 10
  • tab icon.PNG
    tab icon.PNG
    9.7 KB · Views: 10
NB: A change was to move the Humax Powerline to the wall socket instead of on an extension lead

Back