Cannot play .ts recordings in VLC

Jason_a69

Hi there,

I am sure this is a Windows 10 issue but I will explain.

I have downloaded 2 recordings via the webif interface, both SD so they are not encrypted and I cannot get VLC to play them. If I press the play button, nothing happens. I am using VLC version 2.2.1.

I have also tried Windows media player and that froze.

Any0ne have any suggestions please?

Thanks

Jason

Downloading via the WebIf does NOT decrypt them. Did they have a "Dec" icon in the list? If not, they aren't decrypted.

Last edited:
I think it does. If the recording is already decrypted the file is downloaded as a copy, which preserves the file name, and if it is not already decrypted it is downloaded by DLNA and results in a <number>.ts file decrypted by stream capture... unless DLNA server isn't turned on.

So the appropriate questions are:
  • Does the OP decrypt by routine?
  • Is the DLNA server turned on?
  • Does the downloaded file retain the original file name or is it <number>.ts?
For a full explanation see Things Every... (click) section 5 and click through to decryption (in particular: Method 4).

Last edited:
It may (probably is) unrelated, but I have a single (BBC Four HD) recording that will not play in VLC.

It plays fine on more than one Humax T2 - and so must be decrypted, right? - but VLC doesn't see a video track. Nor does mplayer on Linux.

VLC is happy with all my other recordings...

I'd been meaning to post about this; I mention here merely because the symptoms are similar, not necessarily that it is the same cause.

It plays fine on more than one Humax T2 - and so must be decrypted, right?
Presuming you are not using DLNA streaming, yes.

Try Splash Player Lite - that has always been our gold standard of players.

Last edited:
Ah, I didn't notice that you had specified.

Indeed, I hadn't :)

I wasn't looking for an alternative viewer recommendation - although thanks for suggesting one - instead reporting a single recording, out of hundreds that I have, that won't play on either VLC (on multiple OS), or on mplayer.

That suggests some sort of problem with the recording itself, perhaps, yet it plays perfectly on more than one Humax. Odd!

As an aside: I have nominated Splash Lite as my default video player on the PC because it makes much less fuss than VLC et al, and manages to play HiDef full-screen without stutters even with my old processor (VLC won't).

In case you hadn't noticed, Splash 2 has now been released. If you have the previous Splash Pro you can email for a new authentication code. Existing Splash EX codes are valid for the new version and the distinction between Pro and EX appears to have disappeared.
It was a long wait for a new version and even now HEVC is unsupported.
I find Splash less useful than in the past. If VLC doesn't work for you (it needs a hell of a lot of processing power) it's worth having a look at Potplayer - plays Hummy .ts files, HEVC/x265, does decent sharpening and has an audio equaliser.

Last edited:
As no one mentioned it - I've never had any problems with MPC-HC - not that I play a huge number of videos on the PC these days.
(Movies are what my TV is for) but I did spend some time looking at movie encodings at one point.
I wonder if the OP has looked at what splitter is being used (and it's settings) - FTR MPC uses lav.

On the other hand I'm amazed anyone would allow windows-10 anywhere near them in the first place.

So, what is the resolution of your problem - or haven't you resolved it yet?

Hi there,

Sorry I have been travelling around a bit so I could not finish sorting it out.

Status thus far
1. Auto unencrypt was not running because sharing was switched off, I have no idea how that setting changed but it did, possibly after the last firmware update
2. I manually kicked off unencrypt so it has worked its way through my media

I now need to download something from my box to my PC and retest. I shall try and do that now and come back to you.

Thanks for the feedback everyone

Jason

Hi there,

Sorry I have been travelling around a bit so I could not finish sorting it out.

Status thus far
1. Auto unencrypt was not running because sharing was switched off, I have no idea how that setting changed but it did, possibly after the last firmware update
2. I manually kicked off unencrypt so it has worked its way through my media

I now need to download something from my box to my PC and retest. I shall try and do that now and come back to you.

Thanks for the feedback everyone

Jason

Downloaded a .ts file and it worked first time in VLC.

So the problem was the share setting and this was stopping the uncrypt process to fail, my fault of course.

One thing I did notice with the uncrypt process is that it will try and process every file, even if it is not a .ts. I have some MP3s in the "My Music" folder on my Humax and it tried to process those. I guess it could be speeded up a bit....

Thanks again all

Jason

Back