Cannot record, Hard Disk has 0.4GB available, System is using 910.8GB

DorsetDelboy

I was given this recorder by a relative who found it 'slow' and has upgraded to a newer version. I did a factory reset and opted to have the hard disk reformatted, so that I could start with a clean slate.
The box does not manage to record anything, always showing the 'broken tape' icon. I have gone in to the PVR settings and the System seems to be using all of the disk.
I have tried to format the disk but it always says there is a recording due shortly, which there is not. I have checked the schedule and it says there are none scheduled.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Take the disk out, connect it to a PC and see what the physical state of it is via the SMART stats.

Thanks prpr, I had wondered about doing that, so I will remove the disk and test it in a computer environment. I'll report back.

I was given this recorder by a relative who found it 'slow' and has upgraded to a newer version. I did a factory reset and opted to have the hard disk reformatted, so that I could start with a clean slate.
The box does not manage to record anything, always showing the 'broken tape' icon. I have gone in to the PVR settings and the System seems to be using all of the disk.
I have tried to format the disk but it always says there is a recording due shortly, which there is not. I have checked the schedule and it says there are none scheduled.

Even with a working disk there has been an issue with the EPG since 2012 that slows down the PVR-9300T, and it has been getting worse every year.

The PVR-9300 stopped being able to remember the entire EPG back in 2012. The transmitted EPG is now a lot larger. Once its allocated memory for the EPG is all used it overwrites the existing, and still valid, entries with entries it has not got in store yet. The entries being overwritten are therefore no longer in store any more and it will then continue to attempt to reload these from the transmitted EPG, resulting in other entries being overwritten. This can result in frequent slowdown of responses to the remote.

Unfortunately deleting the unwanted channels is not a solution as the PVR-9300T does not truly delete channels but just hides them from sight, and continues to collect the details for the EPG behind the scenes.

The solution is to decide which multiplexes you don't want and not to tune into those in the first place, (or move to to location that can't receive all the channels).

I deleted all of the partitions and put the disk back into the 5000T and it seemed to format it OK, I then asked it to check the disk, which it say 'may take a few minutes'. I'll have a look if it has finished at this time tomorrow.....

Unfortunately deleting the unwanted channels is not a solution as the PVR-9300T does not truly delete channels but just hides them from sight, and continues to collect the details for the EPG behind the scenes.

The solution is to decide which multiplexes you don't want and not to tune into those in the first place
:eek: What's the limit on how many services can it handle?

or move to to location that can't receive all the channels
:D

@DorsetDelboy all the advice given so far has been valid for PVR-9300T not DVR FVP-5000T.

Last edited:
Sorry, I seem to have made a total pigs-ear of my first entry into this forum. I'm not sure how as I carefully made sure to select the FVP-5000T forum before I started.
I am part of the way through the process having taken the disk out and reformatted it on my Linux system.
If I manage to get it all sorted I may repost again in the proper place.
Sincere thanks to all who tried to guide me along the way.

I was given this recorder by a relative who found it 'slow' and has upgraded to a newer version. ...

Once you have sorted out the HDD situation, possibly you may still find it slow.
There was an issue with the remotes that were supplied with the Humax FVP that after a few months not only the slow functions remained slow (obviously) but some also found that the FVP got noticeably slower to respond to the remote's navigation buttons.
If you find navigating the menus slow and if you have a Humax remote for a a different HD Humax recorder, or a universal remote, then try using that to see if it speeds up.

When I used a different Humax remote on a slow to respond FVP I was surprised how fast the FVP menus could be navigated.

No, in the end I reformatted the hard disk on my Linux system, deleting all of the partitions first in the expectation that, with an unformatted disk the Hummy would sort it out when I did another 'Factory Reset'. It seemed to have done so, reporting that the disk now had loads of user space but it still won't record. I guess it needed the other partitions in place??? I spent a couple of hours trying to connect to the box with ftp but it always says bad password. I tried maintenance mode (power on, press red, green, yellow, blue, green, yellow, blue) but that just gave me a bunch of hidden settings, I tried to reformat the drive but it always says it can't do that because it is about to record something (even though there is nothing scheduled). So, I've given up, it is a waste of a Terabyte drive to have it sat in a box which doesn't seem able to do anything useful, so I will just use the disk elsewhere. If I could turn the Hummy into a Linux box I would do that, but I've seen nothing to suggest that will work. Many thanks for your interest and support on here, I am still using the HDR-2000T and will stick with that until it expires.

I guess it needed the other partitions in place???
It should be possible to install a raw disk and for it to be prepared as necessary via the formatting option in the menus. If it's still not working after that, there's something seriously wrong.

If I could turn the Hummy into a Linux box I would do that, but I've seen nothing to suggest that will work.
Not without custom firmware, no (and there isn't any).

Back