Cannot Store on my Ext Hard Drive

Yeldarb1967

I have just bought a 500 GB Toshiba Ext Hard Drive. I want to copy or transfer some programmes to it to play on a TV in Spain. When I connect to my Humax box and get to the Move/Copy spot. It comes up with the message 'cannot copy files to USB storage device because the type of file is NTFS'.
Can I get round this? I am not very good with this sort of thing.

I have just bought a 500 GB Toshiba Ext Hard Drive. I want to copy or transfer some programmes to it to play on a TV in Spain. When I connect to my Humax box and get to the Move/Copy spot. It comes up with the message 'cannot copy files to USB storage device because the type of file is NTFS'.
Can I get round this? I am not very good with this sort of thing.
There are several ways of getting round it. You could format the drive as FAT32; the limitation of this would be the largest files size will be 4GB which is probably OK for SD recordings (as standard HD recordings would not be decrypted when copied to the drive and so not playable other than on the Humax that made the recording). You could format the drive as EXT3 and there would be no file size limit but you would need a special device driver to read from the disk under Windows. You could install the custom firmware and the NTFS-3G package which would allow writing to the disk as is; this is probably the best option but would require some learning on your part.

. . . It comes up with the message 'cannot copy files to USB storage device because the type of file is NTFS'. Can I get round this? I am not very good with this sort of thing.
It's all down to how the hard disk drive is formatted, there is a list of Pros and Cons of each type on the WiKi (Link HERE)

Back