Cannot telnet...

djbrightman

Hi

I need to run a fix-disk (Reallocated_Sector_Ct issues),but cannot access the box via telnet on port 23

I can ssh in fine (dropbear) and set maintenance mode, but cannot telnet via putty or windows telnet.
Latter reports:
>>
Welcome to Microsoft Telnet Client

Escape Character is 'CTRL+]'

Microsoft Telnet> unset crlf
Line feed mode - Causes return key to send CR
Microsoft Telnet> o 192.168.26.26
Connecting To 192.168.26.26...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23:
Connect failed
Microsoft Telnet>
<<

I have re-applied the latest custom firware (HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.06_mod_2.19)

Any ideas?

Thanks

David

None. You seem to be doing everything right. You could re-check the IP address by pinging it.

Port 23 is being blocked somewhere, perhaps a firewall on the PC or router. Is this a wireless connection or wired?

PS. "unset crlf" is not required in recent versions of custom firmware (2.14 or later).

Thanks for replies.
Yes, it appears to be a port blocked issue, though I can't think where... Firewall disabled on laptop, just on internal lan, going through same set of ports off of router. Is there anything on the humax that could be using or blocking that port?
I have tried wired and wireless from laptop.
Also telnet app on android tablet (wireless)

Reallocated sectors seem to have stabilised, but I would still like to run a fix-disk. I lost a disk in a 9200 a few years back and you helped me get some of it back (thanks again!;-) however, I don't want to go through that again!

I'll see if I can dig out a crossover ethernet cable and try that...

If not, is there anyway to run the necessary commands another way? If I ssh in to set maintenance mode is there any way to get it to automatically run a fix and then reboot?
Cheers
David

Yes, it appears to be a port blocked issue, though I can't think where... Firewall disabled on laptop, just on internal lan, going through same set of ports off of router.
Is the server running? In normal mode do "ps x|grep utelnetd".
Is there a file called "/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/notelnet" ? If so, try deleting it and restart.

Is there a file called "/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/notelnet" ? If so, try deleting it and restart.

That was it!
I had tried toggling the telnet setting within the dropbear services settings, but that didn't get rid of the flag file. A good old rm did the trick.

Thank you so much, I am running the fix-disk as I write this!

All the best
David

Back