Can't Access TV Portal

Jm5654

I have bought a 2000T today because my old T2 was having issues. Well guess what the 2000T has issues too! I have connected to my home network. The status shows I am connected. I must be connected as I can stream media wirelessley from my laptop. However when I press TV portal I get a message saying it can't be accessed and to check my network setting despite the fact I am connected. Also when configuring wi-fi I notice the option to change security key is greyed out and unusable despite the manual saying you can change your security type..

Are you using DHCP? Somebody mentioned the DHCP needs configuring in addition to the WiFi. By using DHCP, you will ensure the correct gateway parameters are loaded.

I think the problem is that I can't change the security key. The default is WPA2-PSK(TKIP) which is greyed out and unchangeable. My routers security key is WPA-WPA2(TKIP+AES). The instructions show I should be able to change the security key on the 2000T. I could on the T2. If I don't resolve this I'm getting a new brand of PVR. I'm sick of all the rpoblems I've had with Humax.

I know - they're good when they work. When they work that is. I've owned 3 T2's and now the 2000T and they're all as buggy as hell. Right now I'd opt for a PVR that just works.

Step 4 in setting wi-fi up is to configure security to be the same as your router. As the option to change security is greyed out and unchangeable I think this is the problem.

I know - they're good when they work. When they work that is. I've owned 3 T2's and now the 2000T and they're all as buggy as hell. Right now I'd opt for a PVR that just works.
I'm running 3 HDR-FOXes (and a fourth out on loan), and 3 HD-FOXes. I don't find them buggy, at least not in a way I can't deal with.

WiFi is known to be a problem though, if you can't provide cable Ethernet I recommend HomePlug, or failing that something like a TP-Link WR702n which can link to your WiFi (with much more flexibility) and provide a cable Ethernet connection to another device.

As far as PVR goes, this is not part and parcel of PVR functionality! If you only want a PVR, only use it as a PVR.

I obviously don't just want a PVR but require the TV portal and media streaming otherwise I wouldn't waste time trying to fix it. Other brands (Samsung) also provide better catch up TV and media streaming.The message has now changed when accessing the TV Portal to 'Humax STB Only!' God knows what this means. I'm using a Humax dongle which worked with the T2. When I spoke to Humax before binning the T2 they said the dongle would work fine with the 2000.

In addition to the above problems the 2000 won't show itv as it says the signal is too weak. It's the correct itv for my region so that isn't the problem. When I use the TV's built in tuner it get's itv fine with full signal strength. Let's see if the Panasonic DMR-HWT230 is any better when I take the Humax back to John Lewis tomorrow and exchange it for the Panasonic.

Yes the low signal strength reading seems to come up on many reviews,and I was hoping it was just a problem of calibration.We bought a 2000 for our back room,and it works fine ,but shows a signal strength reading of 30%,compared to 50% from Fox HDR in the front room.All my TVs and Humax boxes give higher signal strength readings than the 2000 across my two aerials.Still it pulls in the stations and quality is shown as 100%.I was looking forward to streaming HD between the boxes but its not a high priority in my case.

Regardless of the signal strength indicator the reality is that ITV will not btoadcast on the 2000 because of the apparent weak signal. The solution has been to return it to John Lewis and buy a Panasonic DMR-HWT230. This has also solved the internet portal problem as the Pansonic connects to the internet fine and has far more catch up services than the 2000 including Netflix. When I telephoned Humax regarding the portal problem they said it was a known problem and offered no fix in the kind of tone of voice that suggested I should accept the situation. Ridiculous.

If you can find a better one, I'm sure a lot of people will be interested.

The Pansonic DMR-HWT230 has now replaced the 2000 and the T2. It is a far superior PVR. Picture quality is excellent. Wireless connection is integrated into the unit rather than having to buy a dongle. Furthermore it actually connects to the internet unlike the 2000. Whilst there it has far more catch up services than the 2000 or the T2 with a modern user interface rather than something out of the ark that the T2 has. It also streams music, video and photographs from my laptop without any issue unlike the T2 which lost the ability to read music files with the only solution being a daily system restore. Not only can the Panasonic act as a media server it is also a media renderer so seamlessly transfers music, video and photographs to other devices in my house. It has a generous 1TB of storage as standard. I have the ability to remotely set recording from my phone or laptop. The software is not buggy. I have noticed no compatibility issues with other equipment - I had several new televisions that got a green screen when connected to the T2. Humax had fobbed me off saying it was all the other manufacturers fault before they finally admitted the T2 was at fault. It is a far superior machine to the 2000 or the T2. Most importantly it works flawlessly. I hope this is of interest to some people considering a new PVR.

That's great, I have no complaints - the reason we like the HDR-FOX is because we can "fiddle" with it - but at the moment there is no entry to the HDR-2000T so it's no loss.

I think the main question on people's minds will be: how straightforward is it to obtain usable copies of StDef and HiDef recordings out of the Panasonic?

Depends how you define 'usable'. I can export material to other devices via renderer to play directly wirelessly and also transfer material to external HDD/USB etc. Format variety is generous too.

Any limitations on using DNLA to watch HD recordings.
Also can you extract HD recording to an external drive (either directly attached to the PVR, or across network to PC hard disk)?

Exactly. No mention of HiDef yet. "Usable" = not restricted by DRM or encryption, and in a codec combination that is easily imported into inexpensive video editors.

It can be played externally. Not only that, as the Panasonic is a media renderer it can stream the content to my PC.

Back