Can't connect to Humax HDR from browser

silverback

I've installed the Custom Firmware on to my Humax HDR and it went in exactly as explained in the installation guide. However, trying to connect to it from Firefox results in "Server not Found. Firefox can't find the server etc etc". I've tried Internet Explorer with the same result.
Any advice on how I can proceed to find the problem, please?

I'm trying to connect wirelessly.
Addresses allocated via DHCP
Humax details :
IP address : 192.168.2.3
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
PC Details :
IP address : 192.168.2.2
Subnet : 255.255.255.0

The router has Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) set.

I am a complete novice when it comes to networking!
Thanks
Silverback
PS : I do just put the Humax IP address in the address line of the browser - yes??

Can you ping it? If you can ping it I would say the CF hasn't been installed (it wouldn't be the first time somebody has installed the standard firmware again instead of adding the CF). The CF should announce itself on the front panel during start-up.

If you can't ping it, this must be a network problem - but I can't work out what. You can access the TV portal I presume?

"ping" means open a command console on the PC (type "cmd" in the start button search) and at the command prompt type "ping 192.168.2.3".

Sorry; should have said that Humax connects to the portal OK.
Ping works OK.
The only relevant file on the stick is hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf - this is the right one, I think? There were lots of messages on the TV screen about downloading and programming while the Humax was booting and it finished with Successful. Will do it again if required.
The original downloaded zip file is HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.20_mod_2.17.zip
Interesting - unpacking the contents to the stick has resulted in the letters being converted to lower case (as detailed in this posting). This won't make a difference, will it?
The stick has other files/folders on it. Will that make a difference?
Silverback

That does seem to be the correct file. If the Humax is programming from the stick, then the other files and folders don't matter (sometimes they seem to stop it working at all).

Does the CFW message flash up on the front panel display during boot?

Is Firefox being obtuse and needing the http prefix "http://192.168.2.3"?

I have to say I'm running out of ideas.

Tried putting http in front of the address (can't type it as you have done; the forum says I can't post email addresses/URLs until I've made 10 postings in order to prevent SPAM!!) - Firefox stripped off the http and failed as normal!

CFW message : should that appear every time the Humax is booted/Every time I do a full reset/when, please?
I was under the impression that it only appeared on the front panel while the stick was in the USB slot and 'work was going on'

Silverback

Just reloaded the CFW. Front display showed R000 to R100, then changed to P000 to P100 (stopped at 79 and 99) then displayed END. Instruction to restart by pressing START button.
One thing I noticed is that it did not display a software version on the screen while installing. I am using mod 2.17.

STOP PRESS : Just noticed there is a new version, so going to try 2.18 now. Will let you know.
Silverback

The Custom Firmware message should display every time the Humax is switched out of standby.
After loading the firmware from USB and before the "Instruction to restart by pressing START button" you must remove the USB stick or when the Humax re-boots it will try to load the new firmware again

Ezra/Black Hole
All working! I've installed v2.18 and the difference is (apart from the fact that 2.18 works and 2.17 doesn't!) is that the programming portion of installation lasted about 2 or 3 seconds with 2.17 and about 30/45 seconds with 2.18. However, both finished with the "Installation Successful" message.
2.17 does not display the CFW message on the Humax display; 2.18 does.
Connection to the Humax now shows "Custom Firmware Successfully installed. Download and Install the full Web Interface."
Computers, eh?

Thank you very much afor your efforts; now to play with the CFW.
Silverback

Not sure what was happening with 2.17 but it definitely can't install in 2/3 seconds, if there was fragmentation on the USB stick, it's possible only the first part of the file was visible to the Humax. It's best to re-format the USB stick and only have the one file on it

Just reloaded the CFW. Front display showed R000 to R100, then changed to P000 to P100 (stopped at 79 and 99) then displayed END. Instruction to restart by pressing START button.
One thing I noticed is that it did not display a software version on the screen while installing. I am using mod 2.17.

STOP PRESS : Just noticed there is a new version, so going to try 2.18 now. Will let you know.
Silverback
Are you sure that you didn't load the standard Humax firmware by mistake? this pauses at 79 and 99, whereas the custom version does not.

There must have been something wrong with the download, but I'm surprised the Humax reported programming success. I believe MD5 checksums are available if you want to check the integrity of the downloads. It was my original hunch that the standard firmware was being applied, maybe that was at the root of the UPD and the CF got unzipped to a folder.

Back