can't connect to wi-fi

thamesside

Just bought the wi-fi dongle with a very brief installation guide. Inserted the dongle. Humax found my wi-fi OK. Accepted the password. Then after "connecting to wi-fi network " ran for a few minutes I got the message "connection failed check your settings and try again".
Looking at the internet settings the security shown on the screen is WPA2-PSK(TKIP). Looking at my router details, it says the security is WPA-WPA2(TKIP+AES). However on the screen the security type option is greyed out. I can only enter network name and password.
The other possible problem is the my password contains dashes (hyphens) . there is no option to enter this character. I have tried using the underline character and leaving out the dashes altogether. Still no success.
I'm stuck!

The password format for the Humax is limited to the main characters with 'special' characters not allowed. You may have to change your wireless password (used by all Wi-Fi items on your router) to a password that the Humax can handle

The other possible problem is the my password contains dashes (hyphens) . there is no option to enter this character. I have tried using the underline character and leaving out the dashes altogether.
Obviously it's not going to work with the wrong characters. You will have to change the password to something which is acceptable to the device.

Thanks

OK it looks as if I am going to have to change the password. Wife will be pleased. I have to change the password on a laptop, 2 tablets and 2 phones!

Anyway never tried to change a password. Can anybody talk me through it?

You would just go into your router settings and change the Wi-Fi (wireless) 'key', some routers allow for several 'keys' so that you could keep key no1 as it is and enter a second key no2, this is useful for trying out the new password before committing the change for everything, as you can switch between using key no 1 and key no2. Having decided that the new key works on the Humax all other Wi-Fi items will now be locked out until you change their Wi-Fi passwords to suit the new key

Isn't there a way of editing the /var/lib/humaxtv/setup.db as detailed HERE?
Well, yes, I wrote that, but we never heard back whether it worked or not.

But, and it's a big but, this post is in the HDR-2000T section, so presumably the OP has an HDR-2000T and stuff relevant to the HDR-Fox T2 doesn't apply.

Just bought the wi-fi dongle with a very brief installation guide. Inserted the dongle. Humax found my wi-fi OK. Accepted the password. Then after "connecting to wi-fi network " ran for a few minutes I got the message "connection failed check your settings and try again".
Looking at the internet settings the security shown on the screen is WPA2-PSK(TKIP). Looking at my router details, it says the security is WPA-WPA2(TKIP+AES). However on the screen the security type option is greyed out. I can only enter network name and password.
The other possible problem is the my password contains dashes (hyphens) . there is no option to enter this character. I have tried using the underline character and leaving out the dashes altogether. Still no success.
I'm stuck!

According to Humax, dongle will only accept a wireless code of upto 8 characters. (My router was 10, so had to change my router and all other connected devices in the house.)
But I still had problems, and Humax told me not to use the rear usb for the dongle. Not helpful to me!! But then found that with a short - 20cm - usb extension cable the rear usb would work fine.

Back