Can't connect via webif

DaveQ

The other day it 'broke'. On power up it showed 'System Start' then 'Cust FW 1.1.13' then nothing. Re-booted several times, no joy. Unplugged everything, carried to another room, this morning tried re-installing the cust FW from usb stick, and magically it now starts OK. Great. But why? And might happen again. So want to run some diagnostics using webif, which I have done in times past. But cannot connect. Typing in the ip address to Chrome browser just gives a blank window. So tried wifi off, connect with an ethernet cable, and changed the ipaddress on the humax to the same as the laptop. Still no joy connecting, but Windows network shows MediaTomb with the unix file structure. Can't ping it.
I tried (re-)installing the webif as a package on the humax from usb. but failed to update - see logfile attached
Using https://rs.hpkg.tv/ there are 5 active, all dated mid December 2019. Irrelevant?

Any suggestions?

I have another Fox T2 which 'broke' in the same way a couple of months ago, but re-installing the fw had no effect. Eventually ordered a 5000t. So I could now try more drastic solutions with that T2 and/or this one.

Attachments

• webif opkg_install.log
    546 bytes · Views: 3
Last edited:
Connect by Telnet and look at the Telnet menu options such as fixweb. For more info do a forum and/or wiki search on "fixweb". For information on how to do Telnet, there's a section on the wiki.

'Cust FW 1.1.13'
It wouldn't have been that (3.13 not 1.1.13), but we'll put that down as observation error or typo.

Last edited:
Typing in the ip address to Chrome browser just gives a blank window. So tried wifi off, connect with an ethernet cable, and changed the ipaddress on the humax to the same as the laptop.
Setting the IP address on the Humax to the same as the laptop will definitely not work.

I set the ipaddress on the humax to 192.168.1.11, the laptop is .7. When I connected direct with an ethernet cable the ips were 169.254.180.200 & 229. Tried filezilla, failed, see attached log for second case

Attachments

• Filezilla 2020-03-23 170854.gif
    Filezilla 2020-03-23 170854.gif
    52.3 KB · Views: 11
I set the ipaddress on the humax to 192.168.1.11, the laptop is .7. When I connected direct with an ethernet cable the ips were 169.254.180.200 & 229. Tried filezilla, failed, see attached log for second case
From the screen shot it looks as though you are attempting to use sftp instead of ftp. In the host field just enter the host ip address and it will probably default OK. You will also need to enter the username of humaxftp and your humax pin.

But ...
Weren't you going to try to telnet into the humax?

Oops. Ok, tried across home network (not ethernet cable) with plain ipaddress, humaxftp, 000, blank port. Get "Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity".
Cant ping it, get timed out. But could get iplayer.

Cant ping it, get timed out. But could get iplayer.
That means the IP address of the HDR-FOX isn't what you think it is, or your router is playing silly buggers (it can happen) and refusing to link one device to another for specific protocols. iPlayer reaches out and requires no specific IP address so long as it has the correct subnet and gateway. Mediatomb uses DLNA protocols (which are auto-discovery).

You haven't said how your HDR-FOX is connected to your network - wired Ethernet, WiFi dongle, or what?

Check the IP address your HDR-FOX is actually using on Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN or Configure LAN (Wi-Fi). If you still can't ping it on that address, reboot your router.

Once you have established ping: https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Telnet

Thanks for the explanations. You're right - somehow it had reverted to dhcp. I rebooted the router also. I can now ping & telnet to it (over wifi dongle).

But not webif - the chrome tab still does get the right icon I think (1585038009529.png) but is otherwise blank.

Was I right to try installing the file webif_1.4.2-7_mipsel.opk? But as i said earlier it failed, log previously attached

Last edited:
That all worked fine (fixdisk rather than fixweb!). Found nothing wrong (see log) - good news.

And suddenly the tab that was blank changed to http://192.168.1.9/exit, with the proper header. But still no webif!

Attachments

• FixDisk log.txt
    6.3 KB · Views: 5
Fixweb wasnt on the menu, but it is now. Ran it and now see webif on the browser OK. Complete SUCCESS - many thanks! So became a 6-month supporter

Back