Can't DLNA stream HD MP4s to Humax

ejstubbs

After getting a number of "can't play files in that format" errors I've discovered that my Humax refuses to play MP4 videos from my NAS if they're in 1280x720 or 1920x1080.

If I process the original MP4s through handbrake to reduce them to 960x540 they will play.

Is this a known issue? Should I be converting them to some other file format?

"MP4" doesn't say very much - that's a container format, and you need to be explicit about the video and audio codecs within the container. The most reliable I have found is MP4 containing H.264 (AVC) video and AAC audio.

Maybe your Handbrake conversion changed the video codec as well as changing the resolution.

Sorry, should have said: the codecs are H.264 and AAC.

The files concerned play just fine if FTPed to the Humax' hard disc.

How are you accessing files on your NAS - Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network, or Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB? If the former, you are relying on the compatibility modes of the built-in DLNA client, which we know is more limited than the modes of the direct-file-access method.

If you need help setting up a virtual USB drive connection to the NAS, see network-shares-automount (click).

After getting a number of "can't play files in that format" errors...
IME one cause of that is non-ASCII filenames.

If these are files from Youtube-DL make use the ASCII filenames switch or the 'Restrict filenames to ASCII' option in Youtube-DLG

Thanks all, the SMB connection seems to do the trick - once I'd actually enabled SMB on the NAS...

I've set up a user on the NAS specifically for the Humax with read-only access to the shared folder with all the videos in it (don't want the missus accidentally deleting one!)

Back