Can't Get BBC4 HD

Nontech

I'm connected to the Tacolneston transmitter.
Carried out a Installation of channels yesterday as changes had been made to the Transmitter.
But still I can't get BBC4 in HD
Is this a problem with the Humax or the Transmitter?

Do any of these exist?
107 BBC NEWS HD
108 Al Jazeera Eng HD
110 Channel 4+1 HD
111 4seven HD
124 CBeebies HD
136 TBA

Probably a problem with your installation somewhere. Aerial/cable or the tuning of the box itself.

If none of the above are present, you could try a Manual Tune for UHF channel 31, DVB-T2.

BBC FOUR HD (and others) uses a different transmitter frequency (multiplex) than (say) BBC THREE HD, called Com7. Com7 is not available to me from the Wales repeater I use, and although it is supposedly being transmitted from Mendip it is at such a low power compared with the other multiplexes that I can't pick it up at all.

You need to check Com7 has commenced service from Tacolneston, and that you are in its footprint (even if you are in the footprint for other muxes from the same transmitter).

As in many TV areas, Tacolneston does not transmit all MUXs (groups of channels) at the same power, the 6 main MUXs are transmitted at 100 kWatts, but 3 others, e.g. COM7, COM8 and LNR are only transmitted at 10 kWatts and BBC4HD is part of COM7. It's even worse in my area the 6 main MUXs are on 200 kWatts with COM7 on only 6.4 kWatts ! ! !

Looking at this web site confirms that the Tacolneston transmitter only powers Com7 at 10,000 watts against 100,000 for BBC1HD transmitter.
So I assume it's because of the low power that I can't get the Com7 channels.
So next question, is there any way of finding if/when the power will be increased?
This is the web site:-
http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=TM131958

I'm on the same transmitter, and it worked ok for me.

Have you tried a manual retune?

The HD channel numbers are 31 and 50. Remember to toggle the 'Transmission' field to DVB-T2.

The other channels used by Tacolneston are: 39, 42, 45, 55, 57 & 59.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Com7 is not available to me from the Wales repeater I use, and although it is supposedly being transmitted from Mendip it is at such a low power compared with the other multiplexes...
There is nothing 'supposedly' about it. IT IS, as I've told you before. Why can't you just accept it?
Here's the data off my box as retuned yesterday:
mendipmux.PNG

No I don't get any of them, I only get 101/102/103/104/105
Am I right in thinking you didn't have them before yesterday either? It wasn't totally clear from your message.
Yesterday's changes have absolutely NOTHING to do with transmitters or receivability, so you are probably out of luck.
As Luke said, check you are in the coverage area on the Digital UK site. Giving a rough idea of your location, the age/size/location of your aerial, the age/length of your downlead etc. might help, as will checking the signal level/quality on a manual tune, as I suggested earlier.
You may need a new wideband aerial as yours could well be a group C/D and it ain't gonna work very well on channel 31.
This now means you have to put some work in to answer questions. Posing more isn't going to get you very far.

Am I right in thinking you didn't have them before yesterday either? It wasn't totally clear from your message.
Yesterday's changes have absolutely NOTHING to do with transmitters or receivability, so you are probably out of luck.
As Luke said, check you are in the coverage area on the Digital UK site. Giving a rough idea of your location, the age/size/location of your aerial, the age/length of your downlead etc. might help, as will checking the signal level/quality on a manual tune, as I suggested earlier.
You may need a new wideband aerial as yours could well be a group C/D and it ain't gonna work very well on channel 31.
This now means you have to put some work in to answer questions. Posing more isn't going to get you very far.
Sorry I spoke!

Sorry I spoke!
Really? I suspect that you have mis-interpreted prvr's intent for posting. I am not sorry that either you or prvr posted.

Any chance of you going through prvr's #10 reply and posting some clarification? prvrs reply does give some very big ACTIONS that you could ty to help yourself - plus also requests that you post more details so that other members of this could help you by tapping into their relevant experience.

There is nothing 'supposedly' about it. IT IS, as I've told you before. Why can't you just accept it?
That's a rather touchy reading of my post. I accept that it is, but as I have not verified it for myself it will always be "supposedly" or "reported to be". At least it has more weight of evidence than a WiFi link working with the Humax booted in maintenance mode, where an explanation for the variable experience is less obvious than transmitter power.

Really? I suspect that you have mis-interpreted prvr's intent for posting. I am not sorry that either you or prvr posted.

Any chance of you going through prvr's #10 reply and posting some clarification? prvrs reply does give some very big ACTIONS that you could ty to help yourself - plus also requests that you post more details so that other members of this could help you by tapping into their relevant experience.
1 I do not think I need to clarify my question in Post 6, "Is there some way of finding if/when the power will be increased?
2 I felt prpr in post 10 was tending to be rude, hence my curt reply.
3 I think prpr's rudeness is proven by his post 12, further borne out in his reply post 9
4 prpr's request of more information from me "Giving a rough idea of your location, the age/size/location of your aerial, the age/length of your downlead etc. might help, " is not known, other than the Post Code which is IP19.
5 I will not further this line of conversation only to say I'm asking for advice.
6 Sorry if I have caused offence

I'm not sure the power will ever be increased. The only reason to be using a reduced power is to fit these multiplexes into the gaps left on the local transmitter and by surrounding transmitters, and if this is the explanation then increasing the power would risk co-channel interference in surrounding areas.

Black Hole,
Thanks for your constructive reply.
Hence, unless I move home/buy a new aerial ( an unproven idea), I get no BBC 4 HD I assume for ever.

At least it has more weight of evidence than a WiFi link working with the Humax booted in maintenance mode
To digress, this does work. You need to have the extra CFW WiFi packages installed (as said before). Connect the unit to the network first by DHCP, noting the IP address, then connect by Telnet and reboot into maintenance mode. The IP address displayed on the front panel will be wrong, use the one you noted.

Sutton Coldfield's COM7 is a reported 89.22 on digitaluk http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/B75 5JJ/NA/0/NA
From a persistent out of date or otherwise inaccurate web site I suspect that the very first internet published draft of the proposed initial power level for Sutton Coldfield was 6.4 kW.
I'm not sure what the current power levels of Sutton Coldfield are, but my wideband aerial produces these signal strengths on the Humax, as you can see COM7 is way down on the others :-

Channel . . . MUX . . . Signal Strength
33 . . . . . . . COM7 . . . 40 (35 during daytime)
39 . . . . . . ARQ-B . . . 67
40 . . . . . BBC HD . . . 67
42 . . . . . . . SDN . . . 71
43 . . . . . BBC-A . . . . 69
45 . . . . . ARQ-A . . . 71
46 . . . . . . . . D3 . . . 71
55 . . . . . L-BRM . . . 44

EDIT
Also if you use the site detailed in #8 to look at Tacolneston, it confirms 6 MUXs at 100kWatts and has COM7 at 27.42 kWatts, so it's hardly surprising it's harder to get a signal

Last edited:
Hence, unless I move home/buy a new aerial ( an unproven idea), I get no BBC 4 HD I assume for ever.
Have you tried asking any of your neighbours if they can receive BBC FOUR HD, and the other COM7 channels? If they can, this would suggest a problem with your aerial installation, as previously mentioned. Knowing that a neighbour can receive these channels, would almost certainly make it worth your while to look into having your installation checked, or even replaced if necessary.

Have you tried looking at the digitaluk Coverage Checker ? Enter your Postcode, and House Number, and it will show you your predicted Freeview coverage, most likely transmitter and alternatives, it will show whether COM7 should be available at your location.

Back