Can't get FTP working...

barkeja

Hi

I am trying to get FTP working on my HDR-FOX T2. I am running the latest firmware (1.02.20) and have enabled the FTP Server option under Settings. I have a cable connection to my router and I have given the device a static IP address. All the TV Portal functions, including iPlayer, work fine. I can see the device address as connected on ny router admin page, but I can't ping or ftp to the device. I have tried to FTP to the device from PC's running XP, Vista and 7; I have also disabled the software firewalls (Comodo) but without success. Any ideas/suggestion gratefully received.

Perplexing. Plug your PC into the end of the Humax cable, just to eliminate absolutely anything else (cross-over doesn't matter these days). Are you sure the IP address you allocated isn't in use elsewhere? I froze the DHCP address to be sure.

Hi,

Are you trying Ping / FTP from a wired or wireless connected device?

Some routers won't let wireless devices pass traffic to wired devices. These types of settings are normally somewhere around the wireless security config of the router.

This is sometimes referred to as "Wireless Isolation".

Cheers

Dan

Some routers won't let wireless devices pass traffic to wired devices. These types of settings are normally somewhere around the wireless security config of the router.

That's so pointless and nuts I'm struggling to understand why anyone would implement it let alone make it the default. Basically it would divide your home network in two. Why??

That's so pointless and nuts I'm struggling to understand why anyone would implement it let alone make it the default. Basically it would divide your home network in two. Why??

It's to stop hackers that get in via your wireless network from accessing any computers on your network.

It's to stop hackers that get in via your wireless network from accessing any computers on your network.

But it also turns your network into two seperate networks that can't talk to each other. I fail to see the value in that. And if all your computers are on wireless it doesn't do anything.

It just seems so pointless. I can't envisage a scenario where I'd actually have computers both wired and wireless and want them to be prevented from talking to each other.

But it also turns your network into two seperate networks that can't talk to each other. I fail to see the value in that. And if all your computers are on wireless it doesn't do anything.

It just seems so pointless. I can't envisage a scenario where I'd actually have computers both wired and wireless and want them to be prevented from talking to each other.

On all the routers where I've seen it, it defaults to off. I guess yours is the exception. The idea is that you switch it on for added security, particularly if you occasionally give others wireless access.

On all the routers where I've seen it, it defaults to off. I guess yours is the exception. The idea is that you switch it on for added security, particularly if you occasionally give others wireless access.
Hi,

Are you trying Ping / FTP from a wired or wireless connected device?

This is sometimes referred to as "Wireless Isolation".

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan

Yes, that was exactly my problem! My wireless ethernet bridge is connected to my (Netgear) router's Guest Network. This is because the bridge is somewhat elderly and the highest level of security it supports is WPA. I am already successfully using this link for a Samsung DVD player so I didn't give a thought about local LAN access! Everything working great now.

The default is defo "off" on the Netgear DG834G

Dan

That's what wireless Guest networks are for, to restrict access to other computers (using Guest access turned out to be the original poster's problem). My router doesn't have any of these features that I'm aware of (if it does they're turned off), I'm just trying to understand why anyone would want such a stupid feature on their main wireless network (as opposed to the Guest network).

I'm just trying to understand why anyone would want such a stupid feature on their main wireless network (as opposed to the Guest network).

I think to class this as a "stupid feature" is to misunderstand what it's there for.

Guest network or not, if you have WiFi enabled on your main internal network then you are wide open in terms of the ability for nasty people to do nasty things.
Consider someone parking outside of your house with a WiFi enabled laptop, they can be on your internal network within minutes.
Wireless isolation is to help prevent this.

Yeah but what about MAC filtering? Well that can be spoofed very easily.
Yeah but what about WEP/WPA/PSK etc etc? Well that can be cracked very easily.
Yeah but what about not broadcasting my SSID? See previous response.

Consider the raft of tools available for "Security Professionals" to "Educate" themselves in such techniques;
Wireshark, Aircrack, Kismet, Ettercap, Backtrack etc etc...

Furthermore they are so simple to use nowadays that you can just fire them up and snoop without needing to know the underlying techology details in depth.
And if you fancy deploying a simple MiTM attack via ARP poisoning to see how easy it is, have a go on your own network, total childs play.

Be safe.

Dan

I think to class this as a "stupid feature" is to misunderstand what it's there for.

Guest network or not, if you have WiFi enabled on your main internal network then you are wide open in terms of the ability for nasty people to do nasty things.
Consider someone parking outside of your house with a WiFi enabled laptop, they can be on your internal network within minutes.
Wireless isolation is to help prevent this.

Yeah but what about MAC filtering? Well that can be spoofed very easily.
Yeah but what about WEP/WPA/PSK etc etc? Well that can be cracked very easily.
Yeah but what about not broadcasting my SSID? See previous response.

Consider the raft of tools available for "Security Professionals" to "Educate" themselves in such techniques;
Wireshark, Aircrack, Kismet, Ettercap, Backtrack etc etc...

Furthermore they are so simple to use nowadays that you can just fire them up and snoop without needing to know the underlying techology details in depth.
And if you fancy deploying a simple MiTM attack via ARP poisoning to see how easy it is, have a go on your own network, total childs play.

Be safe.

Dan

So you're basically saying don't use wireless networking, because you are advising having wireless devices unable to talk to wired devices. This ruins the entire point of having a network.

Back