Can't get to package repository

neil

After recent annoying retune for extra Wimbledon channels I decided to install custom firmware for one of my HDR's.
Installing 1.0.3.12_3.0.3, however, although getting the 'welcome' web page from the customised firmware, when I click on the yellow button it immediately throws up the error 'package repository not found' or something. The TV portal is well and functioning with YouTube and BBC iplayer working, my various browsers used include Chrome and Safari on a Hackintosh, ditto on Macbook - on this also tried IExplorer on Windows 7 running in VMware but no joy. I have tried the reflashing several times now, it also then occurred to me that could the repository be blocked from the TV Portal ?.
My own firewall router ( pfSense) might have been responsible, Ifelt, as I block or drop TCP packets to the gateway address to stop the router config page being accessed by any VLAN especially those with wireless on them only allowing TCP access from one wired-only LAN, only UDP Port 53 allowed for DNS so I opened it up allowing all TCP/UDP to the internet for test purposes but this isn't working either.
I am a bit confused by what packages I might install by USB to get the basic Web IF going so could someone help here please ?

I've just had a skim of the wiki, and I agree it is not obvious what to do regarding specific bundles. Perhaps somebody can explain.

The fact is that beyond the initial installation of the custom firmware as a normal USB firmware update, the vast majority use a live Internet connection to the repository to complete the installation of default packages and then further package management via the WebIF package management page. I doubt the bundles get much of a work out.

Last edited:
The bundled versions of firmware are meant to contain the package itself plus all dependant packages required to enable installation, so for example :-
http://hummypkg.org.uk/bundle.html?bare&opk=webif_1.2.3-3_mipsel.opk&type=hdrfoxt2&set=base
should be a 'one-stop' installation. however, I can't get that link to work at present, I will look into this
EDIT
All bundles on hummypkg.org.uk appear to be downloadable apart from the one for the Web-if, I have tried earlier versions of Web-If bundles and they don't work either. Maybe af123 could have a look into this as it looks like the auto-bundle complier isn't working

Last edited:
Okay, so from the wiki page http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Manually_loading_Features_from_USB the prospective user has to follow the link in the first paragraph to http://hummypkg.org.uk/packages.html - that is not entirely clear, and when the newbie does get there they are faced with a huge table of options.

There needs to be an obvious option at the top (either at hummypkg or the wiki page) which identifies one specific bundle which will do the same as the second stage install, with explicit instructions how to use it.

On my iPad I am getting a Twitter pane (plus "info" and "links") over the hummypkg page which obscures some of the table - there seems to be no way to move it or get rid of it.

Code:
Got error 'PHP message: PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 32 bytes) in ...bundle.html on line 113
The bundle is just getting too big! I'll talk to the ISP about raising that limit or I may need to change the way it works.

Installing 1.0.3.12_3.0.3, however, although getting the 'welcome' web page from the customised firmware, when I click on the yellow button it immediately throws up the error 'package repository not found' or something.
Can you get the exact error message? That will help pinpoint the problem.
The initial installation process checks if it can connect to the repository by sending ping packets. If your router/firewall doesn't allow it to send them out to the Internet then that could be the cause of the problem.

Code:
Got error 'PHP message: PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 32 bytes) in ...bundle.html on line 113
The bundle is just getting too big! I'll talk to the ISP about raising that limit or I may need to change the way it works.
Actually excessive recursion in the code... fixed!

Actually excessive recursion in the code... fixed!
I just Googled "pfSense ping" and yes, ICMP (ping) not allowed by default , it has to be setup as a pass rule on the WAN interface. Thanks very much !

I just Googled "pfSense ping" and yes, ICMP (ping) not allowed by default , it has to be setup as a pass rule on the WAN interface. Thanks very much !
You only need to allow this for the initial installation. Routine package updates check using a TCP ping. The disparity will be fixed if I ever release another CFW version.

You only need to allow this for the initial installation. Routine package updates check using a TCP ping. The disparity will be fixed if I ever release another CFW version.
I still haven't got this to work unfortunately despite modifying the firewall rules. I was running a packet capture utility (part of pfSense) which detected pings leaving the HDR destined for "rs.hpkg.tv", I assume that's correct ,in a browser you get a login page for Remote Scheduling. Thing that's still bugging me is how do the ping replies get back to their origin when you have a system of multiple subnets as I have ?

The firewall should handle that by itself via network address translation rules but I'm not familiar with that model.

You can install the initial web interface bundle from the command line if you connect via telnet (see http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Telnet )
and choose the 'cli' option from the menu. Once at the command line type the following two commands:

opkg update
opkg install webif

and then restart the Humax (use the remote control and allow it to fully shut down before starting up again).
That should get you up and running.

The firewall should handle that by itself via network address translation rules but I'm not familiar with that model.

You can install the initial web interface bundle from the command line if you connect via telnet (see http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Telnet )
and choose the 'cli' option from the menu. Once at the command line type the following two commands:

opkg update
opkg install webif

and then restart the Humax (use the remote control and allow it to fully shut down before starting up again).
That should get you up and running.
Yes, I was playing with the Telnet today and checked the hard disk in the 'Maintenance menu' so thanks for that, you can install a modified ftp server as well, I believe to give you full access to the file system.

Back