Can't install disable-ota

danco

So I deiced to remove disable-ota and let my box do the update. After tat I wanted to re-install disable-ota, but when I tried I got

opkg install disable-ota
wget: can't connect to remote host (89.248.55.75): Network is unreachable
Installing disable-ota (1.0.2) to root...
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/disable-ota_1.0.2_mipsel.opk.
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/disable-ota_1.0.2_mipsel.opk, wget returned 1.
* opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download disable-ota. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package disable-ota.

What am I doing wrong? Or is there a current failure at the far end? I am not having any issues connecting to other web sites.

The file you are tying to download is currently available, if you click on either of your links above you will get a download window presented to you, like this :-

disable-ota.jpg

Thanks. I was able to download it. What do I do with the downloaded file? I'm using a Mac, but I expect I can translate info for Windows into that for Mac.

I'm still getting that error, and a similar one if I try to update the package list. Possibly my ISP does not like 89.248.55.75 for some reason, though in that case why can I download the file and also run a successful traceroute to hpkg.tv

Last edited:
No, I haven't tried traceroute from the Humax. I don't know how to do that. But given that my computer and the Humax are on the same network, so connecting to the same router, why should there be a difference?

There's obviously a difference somewhere. The traceroute should give a clue as to where the problem lies.

From the Humax command line, just use the traceroute command:

Code:
humax# traceroute hpkg.tv

Thanks. I did that. I got the message "network is unreachable" immediately (no hops at all). I note also that the TV Portal failed with message "There was an error while launching ...".

There's something weird going on as the Humax reports of the LAN "Network is connected" and my computer reaches the Humax OK.

I'll try powering off the Humax when I have a minute, and also powering off my router. Do you have other suggestions for what I could do to diagnose the problem.

What does "ifconfig" and "route" at the command prompt say?

ifconfig gives

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:03:78:BD:5F:58

inet addr:192.168.0.10 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:206 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:50 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:20086 (19.6 KiB) TX bytes:7019 (6.8 KiB)

Interrupt:16

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:211 (211.0 B) TX bytes:211 (211.0 B)

and route gives

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface

192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0

Powering off the Humax did not help. Also, I find that if I try the TV portal, which fails as mentioned in my previous post, the Humax is in a bad state where many standard things don't work or are prohibited. A reboot cures that.

I could always revert to standard software and re-install the custom, but I would prefer to cure the problem without doing that if it's not too difficult to work out how to diagnose and cure it.

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface

192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
I think that is your problem; there is no default route so packets don't know how to get to the outside world. How is the Humax getting its IP address (DHCP or static)? What is the IP address of the router?

The router is at 192.168.0.1. The Humax is at 192.168.0.10. This is an address specified as what the router will always assign to the Humax. Sometimes people call this static (as it never changes), but others insist that static means that the device itself specifies the address.

The Configure LAN setting on the Humax seems fine, gateway address and DND address are both 192.168.0.0, as they should be, and the subnet mask is as it should be.

I'm sure you are right, that it is the 192.168.0.0 that is the problem. But I have no idea where that comes from (things have worked in the past, so why and when they changed I don't know). Can I use the CLI to change it, and if so how?

I would try setting the Humax's Configure LAN gateway to the router's IP i.e. 192.168.0.1 rather than 192.168.0.0
EDIT
Having re-read your posts, I'm guessing your Humax is set to DHCP rather than Manual, if so I would temporarily switch to Manual from DHCP and set as follows :-
Configure IP = Manual
IP Address = 192.168.0.10
Netmask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address = 192.168.0.1
DNS Address = 192.168.0.1

Last edited:
Sorry, I must have been asleep while writing my last post. The Gateway and DNS address are as they should be, 192.168.0.1. I don't know how I managed to type 192.168.0.0, that's what the route command seems to be saying but is NOT what Configure LAN says. To reiterate (in case in trying to be clear I have just added to confusion, the Configure LAN address is 192.168.0.1

I would try changing the gateway address in Configure LAN to something else and then back to .1 - the route command is showing that the route has not been applied for some reason.

the route command seems to be saying
No that is not what it is saying; it is saying that to reach any address between 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.0.254 send the packets out via eth0. What is missing is a line to say where packets destined for the outside world should go. The line should be something like:

default 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

I would try changing the gateway address in Configure LAN to something else and then back to .1 - the route command is showing that the route has not been applied for some reason.

Thanks. That suggestion has worked as far as the customised firmware goes.

But the TV Portal still shows an error, "there was an error while launching https://www.humaxtvportal.com" with subsequent failure of most actions from the remote control until I put the machine in standby and back on.

No that is not what it is saying; it is saying that to reach any address between 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.0.254 send the packets out via eth0. What is missing is a line to say where packets destined for the outside world should go. The line should be something like:

default 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

I hadn't seen your post when I made post 16. Just wanted to say that the line you give does show up when I issue the route command now. It didn't previously.

Back