Can't watch and record at the same time?

ameezy

Hi,

We switched to Freesat from Sky HD recently, choosing the HDR-1000S.

We don't see to be able to record one show, and watch another at the same time, despite having a dual LNB installed. This never seemed to be a problem with the SkyHD box, and I've checked all the wiring - is there something I'm missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ameezy

Your recording and viewing options should be greater than a Sky box. In addition to recording two you should also be able to watch some third channels while recording two (and even record the third from the time shift buffer after one of the recording finishes).

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1766665-multiple-recording-viewing-humax-freesat-pvrs.html

First thing to do is start a recording on one channel. Now press Settings on the remote and select System Info, Signal Info. If tuner 2 displays no signal then it's likely that the tuner 2 input isn't working properly. Also check if it says two lnb's connected. If you have neither check the tuner 2 f connector is properly connected and then carry out a reset to factory defaults and repeat the above.

Post what results you get.

Hi

Thanks for your advice. Did as you'd said - Tuner 1 strength and quality are both good, Tuner 2 displays no signal. I have checked the connections on the cable and this doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any further ideas?

Thanks

Ameezy

Hi

Thanks for your advice. Did as you'd said - Tuner 1 strength and quality are both good, Tuner 2 displays no signal. I have checked the connections on the cable and this doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any further ideas?

Thanks

Ameezy

Did you start a recording first ?. If you did try swapping the cables. How many cables does it say on the diagnostics screen ?

I did start a recording first. Just tried swapping the cables (with a new recording) There was then no signal on either tuner - which means that one of the cables isn't right, I take it? How can I sort this?

Thanks again

Ameezy

It sounds like one of your co-axes or one of the LNB outputs is duff. It would be a good idea to first mark the duff cable before you start so you don't get confused as to which is which. First check the connections of the F type plug on the box end of both cables. (Unscrew them, make sure there is braiding present and that the braiding is not 'shorting' to the central wire) If they seem OK, recheck the signals as before to see if the fault has 'gone away'. If not check the F Types at the LNB end. Whilst you're at the LNB, as well as checking the plugs, swap the cables in the LNB and see if the previously duff cable becomes good. If it does, then it's one output from the LNB that's duff. If it doesn't, then it's the cable that's duff. Change it.

Don't forget to do a factory reset when the lack of signal from one cable is fixed. The box will only indicate a signal from used tuners. So even when fixed without a recording it will only indicate tuner 1 unless you start a recording. If it says two cables on the diagnostic screen you should be good to go.

Don't forget to do a factory reset when the lack of signal from one cable is fixed. The box will only indicate a signal from used tuners. So even when fixed without a recording it will only indicate tuner 1 unless you start a recording. If it says two cables on the diagnostic screen you should be good to go.

That caught me out too! Pity it isn't in the info provided, I would have saved a lot of time. Well, I know now!

Back