cant watch TV if a recording has started while TV is turned off

not retiredyet

Hi, I've got a HDR-Fox T2 and if it starts recording while the TV s turned off I cant get a signal on the TV - I have to wait until the recording has finished. Is this standard, or is there anythign I can do? i dont know if its related to the fact that if I turn the TV off, when I turn it on again I have to restart the whole system by putting the Humax into standby mode for at least 10 seconds before turning it on again when the system will power up.

Can anyone advise?

This sounds like an HDMI handshake issue which seems to affect certain makes of TV more than others.

It would help if you give a few more details, including the make and model of your TV, and which version of firmware your Humax is running.

Have you tried selecting a different HDMI input on your TV, then switching back to the correct one for the Humax? this has been known to help some people.

Sometimes if cycling through different HDMI inputs doesn't work, unplugging and reconnecting the HDMI cable does.

I know its an old thread but I now have the same problem. I had a HDR-T2 that I returned to John Lewis as it had disk faults when recording. They swapped it for a reconditioned model. If my "new" box starts recording while the Home Cinema Amp/TV is turned off I cant get a picture when I turn the Amp/TV on unless I stop the recording and power off the box (switch on the back). My previous (returned) box has no such problem with the same Amp/TV, same HDMI cables, same firmware 1.29. I have tried swapping HDMI cables, cycling the HDMI switching on the Amp and unplugging and reconnecting the HDMI cables. Nothing works.
My Humax (HDR-T2 500GB) is connect to my Sony BDV-E380 Home theatre system which is connected to my Sony KDL-46EX503 TV. Any tips/solutions before I take it back to John Lewis again?

Much as I hate Scart, you never had this handshake nonsense with it. HDMI seems like yet another dog's dinner of an implementation.
I wonder what Humax do with all these returned boxes for 'minor' faults such as this?
Probably just send them straight out again as a "refurb" with no action taken. If you were them, what would you do?

It's a problem if they can't reproduce the reported symptoms.

I'm surprised two Humaxes with identical firmware behave differently with the same external kit, it seems to point at a marginal timing variation which causes this. It has to be said that whenever anybody reports an HDMI problem it is very often Sony kit at the other end.

My supported user of HDR No2 is about to replace the steam CRT with a 32" LED/LCD (it will be better than my TV :(), a Bravia was at the top of the list but I'm pushing for a Samsung!

Much as I hate Scart, you never had this handshake nonsense with it. HDMI seems like yet another dog's dinner of an implementation.
I wonder what Humax do with all these returned boxes for 'minor' faults such as this?
Probably just send them straight out again as a "refurb" with no action taken. If you were them, what would you do?
Well considering my "refurbished" box was full of someone elses recordings and already tuned in it would seem that Humax can't even be bothered to do a factory reset or hard drive format on them. Not to mention the filthy remote control!

It's a problem if they can't reproduce the reported symptoms.

I'm surprised two Humaxes with identical firmware behave differently with the same external kit, it seems to point at a marginal timing variation which causes this. It has to be said that whenever anybody reports an HDMI problem it is very often Sony kit at the other end.!

Well the manufacture date of the two boxes was over a year apart. Maybe some of the components inside have changed/different supplier?

The HDMI connection works ok when the PVR is not recording. I have to manually select it with the Sony kit but the picture displays ok/PVR behaves normally.

My supported user of HDR No2 is about to replace the steam CRT with a 32" LED/LCD (it will be better than my TV :(), a Bravia was at the top of the list but I'm pushing for a Samsung!
I thought I had seen several recent reports of HDMI problems involving Samsung TVs?

The problem with both Sony and Samsung does seem to be with older models, having said that my 4 year old Samsung syncs O.K.

No problem with my HDR to Panasonic.

Only once had a problem (green screen) with my HD and my Tesco Technika but that could have been caused by the Tvonics HD500 acting as a HDMI switch between the two of them.

That said I seem to remember that some people solved their problem by introducing a HDMI switch and/or not having their TVs auto-select the HDR HDMI input.

Martin

The main brand of reported "problem" TV's does seem to be Panasonic.

My perception is that the most problems regarding handshaking are with Sony TVs. Never had a glitch between my Panny and FoxT2 in well over two years.

Perhaps newer versions of firmware have fixed the problem with Panasonic TV's, I have never owned one, but remember reading many reports of HDMI handshake issues since the HD/HDR-FOX T2 boxes were released.

Seeing as no-one can agree on whose box is at fault, then clearly it is HDMI or whatever standards documentation there is for it that's really at fault, as obviously it's too complicated for any manufacturer to test interoperability properly.
I believe I effectively said that earlier in the thread.

Back