Capacitors

TPerry

After several years faultless service, my Foxsat HDR is now struggling to boot. As others have reported, it takes 30-odd seconds. It then appears to be fine, but it fails to find the satellite signal, so I can't watch any live TV.

I think the signal is OK, because the failure is intermittent - sometimes it will find the signal. I know the hard drive is fine as I can see and watch all my recordings, even when the signal isn't found.

My guess is it's the power supply / capacitor issue, but I've had a look inside and can't see any visible signs of the capacitors failing - no bulging.

My question is whether it is still likely that the capacitors are the problem and that replacing them might/should solve the problem?

If so, does anyone know whether the Humax Foxsat repair kit for £4.99 on componentz is compatible with the Foxsat HDR? It doesn't specify HDR or not (sorry - I haven't submitted enough posts yet to include the link).

Thanks

You would have to open up your Humax and see if your capacitors correspond with the one detailed on the http://www.componentz.co.uk/humax-foxsat-repair-kit/ site, e.g. :-

Three capacitors are known to fail on the Humax Foxsat which are C12, (2200uf, 10V),
C13 (680 uf, 25v) and C23 (680uf 25v).

There is also a picture of the power supply on the site, so you can see if it looks the same as yours

This would never happen so early if their quality control improved.

Back