Casting from Humax media server to NowTV or Chromecast?

dwl99

Has anyone come up with a way to cast Humax ts recordings via an Android device to NowTV or Chromecast? I can stream recordings from my Galaxy Tab3 via the AllCast app to my Panasonic TV DLNA renderer but the ts video files refuse to play through the Chromecast dongle. The PlayTo apps on NowTV & Android also cannot handle the ts file extension.

EDIT - looks like one option would be to map the Humax as a Windows share & point Plex Media Server to it

I was looking for a way to play Humax recordings on my non-smart kitchen TV via a Chromecast dongle or NowTV box. The clue was in the first sentence :)

And it works! Just make sure that the samba package is installed on the Humax and that auto-decrypt is enabled then map the Humax video folder as a Windows network drive.

As this forum section is specific to the uncustomised HD-FOX, and the uncustomised HD-FOX has no means to serve content, my first post remains pertinent.

However, as the HD-FOX cannot "auto-decrypt" even with the custom firmware, I take it this is not about HD-FOX at all. The topic is relevant to HDR-FOX and should be in the custom firmware section.

Unfortunately there is no Plex lite, so one can't test it without buying the product. A common problem with iTunes!

EDIT - looks like one option would be to map the Humax as a Windows share & point Plex Media Server to it

Sorry, can you explain how I can play back stuff on my Hummy via my Chromecast? Neither runs Windows. Are you just using a PC to cast the screen to your Chromecast? The Chromecast doesn't even support DNLA.

I think this means having Samba on the HDR so that decrypted recordings are accessible from the Windows file system, then running them through the Plex server to a Plex client running on a machine able to send the video to a Chromecast dongle plugged into a TV.

All that instead of running a HDMI lead from the HDR to the TV.

I have a 10m HDMI working perfectly well, and others on here are happy with a long AV cable and IR sender.

That scenario I outlined above has the following kit on power: HDR, PC, router, Plex client with Chromecast ability, Chromecast dongle, TV.

Alternatively my setup requires: HDR, router, HD-FOX, TV.

Chromecast £30, HD Fox if you can get one £75 second hand. Plus means of connecting HD to NW ??

By the way, I only raised the point to explain why somebody might want to use the ChromeCast with a HDR.
I personally would use the HD Fox (which I have in a cupboard somewhere).

Unfortunately there is no Plex lite, so one can't test it without buying the product. A common problem with iTunes!

Apple should copy the Android 15 minute preview window for apps. It saves you from poor purchases. They could implement it if they wanted to.

I agree Mike0..1.
It would also help if app developers gave more technical documentation for there products.
How much effort would it really take for somebody (e.g. Plex) to give a few setup scenarios and prerequisites.

Are there not Android apps available which could browse an HDR's media library using DLNA and then stream it to a Chromecast? I must admit I didn't realise that the Chromecast didn't support DLNA natively. One train of thought says Google have missed a trick here, but on the other hand DLNA is not without its flaws...

Are there not Android apps available which could browse an HDR's media library using DLNA and then stream it to a Chromecast? I must admit I didn't realise that the Chromecast didn't support DLNA natively. One train of thought says Google have missed a trick here, but on the other hand DLNA is not without its flaws...

There are many DLNA apps on Android.

Streaming to a Chromecast is problematical, as it involves a load of processing power. You can stream the desktop of a PC to Chromecast, but mobile streaming so far involves sending information about what to stream to the dongle and then the dongle takes over, bypassing the mobile. Thus, only apps that support Chromecast will do this. I guess it means that the Chromecast has to be aware of what it is meant to do to retrieve the video or whatever chosen on the mobile. The mobile is merely a remote.

Just thought I'd chip in since I was looking at this today. I tried an app called Cloudcaster which lets you cast from Google drive, Dropbox, DLNA etc. The format of the .ts file was not recognised as supported by Chromecast though so it wasn't able to play it. The list of supported formats is here - https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media

I was trying to think if there was a way of transcoding or repackaging the .ts on the humax when needed for chromecast. Some of the mobile chromecast apps do support transcoding in one way or another (on the phone or on a server) so it may be one of these will work. I'll keep looking into it, I'd be interested if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Back