CEC compliance for HDMI TV switching

Vince Bond

I understand from another forum that the HDMI equivalent of Scart pin 8 TV switching is through something called CEC. Looking around the web it seems that among source devices (e.g. DVD players, PVRs) some implement CEC switching protocol and some do not. Equally, some TVs respond to a CEC switching signal and some do not.
I don't know if my TV (a Philips) would recognise it because in my connection of the FoxT2 to the TV as this would depend on knowing what the FoxT2 does.
Could someone tell me if the HDR-Fox2T implements CEC please? And if not, is it likely to in the future by a software upgrade - preferably switchable, and not on start of recording - only when the T2 is powered on.
Thank you.

As I have mentioned in a previous post. I too have a Philips TV, model number 32PF9631D/10 (bought in 2006). I can confirm that this model at least, DOES NOT AUTO SWITCH to my HDR-FoxT2.

I know that's not really what you asked, but thought I would post anyway, :)

IIRC, someone posted quite some time back that their Panasonic TV auto switched to the HDR-FoxT2 HDMI input. Although my memory could be playing tricks.

With so many different takes on HDMI implementation, it would not surprise me if some TVs auto-switch using their own mechanisms without this CEC thing.

Apparently interoperablity between different manufacturers' devices is not mandatory. As a result some manufacturers limit CEC to their own devices. I suppose it means that each manufacturer doesn't have to test a new device with every other CEC device on the market but it doesn't help the end-user experience.

As I have mentioned in a previous post. I too have a Philips TV, model number 32PF9631D/10 (bought in 2006). I can confirm that this model at least, DOES NOT AUTO SWITCH to my HDR-FoxT2.

I know that's not really what you asked, but thought I would post anyway, :)

IIRC, someone posted quite some time back that their Panasonic TV auto switched to the HDR-FoxT2 HDMI input. Although my memory could be playing tricks.
Your memory not playing tricks. It seems that Panasonic TVs auto-switch HDMI on their HDMI 1 input but not on HDMI 2. Bit cofusing if you've got two HDMI devices.

My new Panasonic switches automatically but my 5 year old Sony didn't.

(The Panasonic also switches automatically to the Blueray player on HDMI2 but that's a Panasonic too which probably makes a difference as they're chatting with VieraLink, whatever that entails).

Your memory not playing tricks. It seems that Panasonic TVs auto-switch HDMI on their HDMI 1 input but not on HDMI 2. Bit cofusing if you've got two HDMI devices.

HDMI1 on Pannies has an autoswitching capability based on hdmi activity. It works with kit that's not CEC capable. The other ports require a cec compatible source to auto switch.

My setup is effectively the same as what af123 has described above, and indeed my TV also switches when I would expect it to, however I will try swapping the inputs (Panny BD on HDMI1, Hummy on HDMI2) and will report the results. Incidentally, I'm happy to report no problems at all with HDMI compatibility between the Hummy and the new TV (Panny TX-P46GT30) since it arrived a couple weeks ago, even when the Hummy is recording.

I tried connecting the HDR to HDMI2 on the TV last night, but it doesn't auto-switch when I turn it on, so it looks like whatever the Viera is using to detect the a signal from the Hummy, it only works on HDMI1.

Back