Centre ring very insensitive

Luke

Well-Knwοn Мember
The centre ring on one of my HDR-FOX T2s has become very insensitive. It is my usual preferred way that I switch on a HDR-FOX T2. It does still work but it needs to be massaged for a few seconds or more to respond. I used to be able to walk past it and just brush the centre ring to switch on.
I'm not sure whether the sensitivity has been a gradual decline which has only got to the current noticeable state or whether it has just flipped over to being insensitive.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Any ideas of what could be wrong?

The last time I physically did anything with the front display was about 3 years ago when it had the red filter removed.
I have another HDR-FOX T2 stacked with it on a different official firmware but now the same C/F, packages and most of the settings. That other HDR-FOX T2 switches on and off without being massaged each time.

I haven't tried dismantling it and putting it back together yet. If I did that I should also clean the centre ring contacts with the PSB with meths?

I'm not sure what technology it uses to sense the touch - I assume it is capacitive, in which case cleaning it should make no difference unless somehow an accumulation of filth is "shorting" it to ground.

Are the volume and programme up/down buttons similarly unresponsive?

Last edited:
Thanks. It turns out the volume and programme up/down buttons are also very reluctant to respond.

I'll probably give the connection to the PSB a fiddle first and then failing that see if a swap with a spare display PSB fixes it.

A normal power off fixed it.

I thought I had, plus its the one I use the portal on and so it crashes every now and again.

I'm just going off to stand in the corner with a big "D" on my hat.
Thanks.

A normal power off fixed it.
But I bet you had to switch it back on again.:eek:
I find it quite gob-smaking that a power cycle is not everyone's first port of call. They obviously were not brought up on early versions of MS Windows:laugh:

I think the problem is that people (even me, sometimes) get a fixed idea of what kind of problem it is and that a power cycle can't possibly fix it. In this case it gave the impression of a hardware fault with nothing to do with anything that boots.

But if you think that a power cycle cannot possibly fix it, that indicates that you have actually thought of a power cycle, but consciously chosen not to try one of your own free will (to coin that well known phrase or saying) and why wouldn't you reset anything that can remotely have any sort of s/w on it?

I find it quite gob-smaking that a power cycle is not everyone's first port of call.
I thought I had, but it must have been my other active HDR-FOX T2 that had all the recent power offs. As it also had a couple of crashs on Tuesday thus my reason for not making sure before BH posted the suggestion, but I had to be 100% sure before I posted back that it did not work. Wish I could have seen my face when it did work.

I'm not sure that I understand why the portal crashing it a couple of days ago did not do the same job.

I find it quite gob-smaking that a power cycle is not everyone's first port of call. They obviously were not brought up on early versions of MS Windows:laugh:
If the ring had just stopped working altogether I probably would have power cycled it straight away. But with the symptoms given, ie it works but is reluctant, I would also be thinking there was something physical wrong with it and a power cycle wouldn't be my first thought.

Back