CF and the May 2014 OTAs

MikeSh

The 1.03.12 base system has some things I'd like (eg. subtitles on iPlayer) so I'd like to give it a try. However, I have the 'No OTA' installed at present and would also want to keep (or reinstall) the CF after getting 1.03.12.

As there isn't an 'official' 1.03.12+CF package to download I would think I'll need to let the box OTA itself, or do it manually, and then sort out the CF. But how?

I expect this information exists somewhere but for those of us with little brains can someone give us an idiot's guide:
What should we do before updating?
What do we need to do to re-enable OTA? (Or can one manually update (while the update is being transmitted) without re-enabling OTA?)
What needs to be done to get the CF back and working after updating the base system separately?

Installing an official Humax update also installs a recompiled kernel (part of the OS). The kernel itself is generally unchanged though I think there were some minor tweaks between 1.02 and 1.03 versions. The latest Webif interface shows the installed version in the bottom corner. The custom firmware updates do not change the kernel. To be a stickler, you could download official firmware 1.03.12 from the wiki, install that to update to the latest kernel, then install, 1.03.12/ CFW 2.22. Your packages and settings from before will still be in place. If you update directly to 1.03.12/ CFW 2.22 the kernel will be unchanged. Whichever route you choose, will work fine and you won't notice a difference in operation.

I'm minded to get the 'official' update and then add CF 2.22 on top.
But what, if anything, should I do with the existing CF2.21 beforehand and the 2.22 after to ensure the simplest restoration of normal services?
Surely it can't be as simple as OTA update, load 2.22, reboot once or twice and it's all tuned, deleted, renumbered and scheduled?

If your firmware is older than 1.03.12 (which it sounds like it is) and you uninstall the disable OTA package then delete the 4.20AM reminder from the schedule, the firmware should update automatically ovenight when the OTA transmission is running. Otherwise you can manually run an OTA update at any time while it is being transmitted using the remote control (Settings> Installation> Software Update> Automatic Update). This will remove the custom firmware, but all the files and settings will still be there. Install 1.03.12/ CFW2.22 from a USB stick and that's all you need to do.

If you allow the OTA to install then it will wipe out one of the flash areas that the CFW uses for boot time packages. You need to run the prepare-for-upgrade diagnostic first to get ready for this. Rather than forcing the OTA, you could also just download and install the official 1.03.12 from the Wiki, followed by the custom. That will still need the diagnostic running to preserve everything.

If you allow the OTA to install then it will wipe out one of the flash areas that the CFW uses for boot time packages. You need to run the prepare-for-upgrade diagnostic first to get ready for this. Rather than forcing the OTA, you could also just download and install the official 1.03.12 from the Wiki, followed by the custom. That will still need the diagnostic running to preserve everything.
Do you run the prepare-for-upgrade diagnostic after installing the official firmware but before installing the custom firmware, or before the official firmware? When the first OTA of 1.03.12 ran, I allowed an HDR-FOX on 1.03.11/ CFW 2.22 (I think) to update and then installed 1.03.12/ CFW 2.22 when you made it available. I didn't run the prepare-for-upgrade diagnostic, but I did (now I remember it) run the fix flash packages diagnostic after installing the CFW to be on the safe side. Does this have the same effect? The unit is running fine, BTW.
I did suggest to MikeSH a couple of posts ago that he could just download standard 1.03.12 from the wiki. I might roll back one of my units to an earlier version and do an OTA update. I am interested in knowing if the kernel details have changed as this would indicate a new build: yes I know I am a bit sad;)

You need to run the prepare-for-upgrade diagnostic first to get ready for this.

... manually run an OTA update at any time while it is being transmitted using the remote control (Settings> Installation> Software Update> Automatic Update). This will remove the custom firmware, but all the files and settings will still be there. Install 1.03.12/ CFW2.22 from a USB stick and that's all you need to do.

Thanks. That was the process I was after.
(I'll probably do a manual update so I can sort it all out in one session.

Rather than forcing the OTA, you could also just download and install the official 1.03.12 from the Wiki,

I'd rather use the 'real' official 1.03.12 just in case they have changed it ever so slightly since the last OTA (as is being discussed elsewhere I think).

Well, that was easier than expected (as long as nothing goes wrong later).
Ran the prep.
Did a 'manual' OTA update (nearly an hour :eek: )
On restarting found that the update had not forced any 'restore to defaults' or retune, so all our channels and reservations were still there. Yay!
Loaded CF2.22.
Did a fix-flash just to be sure.
Updated web-if and a couple of others that were listed.
And it all seems to be working :D

Thanks for the advices.

Hi guys.

My box upgraded automatically last night.

I'm about to re-install the cf. As I didn't run any diagnostic before the upgrade, what do I need to run after re-installing the cf?

Thanks.

Sent on the move

We knew that.

Yeah. Something in the back of my mind was thinking the latest versions were cleverer about not trashing everything - but actually having it work is always a cause for celebration. (I used to write software for a living: every hard-won functional object was cause for at least a non-verbal "Yay!")

Enjoy your slugged EPG.

On first test the EPG response was a little slow on button presses .... but I understand that will get more enjoyable as time goes on.

I have never had a default or retune situation with any firmware update, the worst that has happened was some of the user settings getting reset - eg IP config. The Humax firmware update process is remarkably smooth in my opinion.

Oh, I'm getting confused then. I'm probably thinking a mix of having to retune when the channels get shuffled and the 9200, which I think did zap everything when updated. But maybe I'm mis-remembering even that.

Anyway, it's all about expectations. My wife says I'm a pessimist. Probably true, but I'm usually happy with whatever happens whereas she's always moaning about things not being as she expected.

So my upgrade worked flawlessly - it didn't timeout, it didn't crash, it didn't say "Unexpected error #345284A4" and it kept all my settings and schedules - so even if that was what should have happened it's still a big Yay!

(Sorry BH, you aren't going to spoil my minor 'victory over life' celebration :D )

Hi guys.

My box upgraded automatically last night.

I'm about to re-install the cf. As I didn't run any diagnostic before the upgrade, what do I need to run after re-installing the cf?

Thanks.

Sent on the move

Hi guys. I've re-installed the cf. Everything seems to be running OK.

Do I need to do anything because I didn't run the prepare for upgrade diagnostic?

Thanks

Sent on the move

Back