Beta [cfupdater] Custom Firmware Updater

xyz321

A new package has been uploaded to the beta repository containing a flash update script for updating the custom firmware on an HDR without necessarily using USB sticks. It should be run in maintenance mode and does not currently support updating the loader. It has been tested with CF versions 3.10, 3.11, 3.13 and the beta 3.14. I would not recommend using this package to load standard Humax firmware at the moment.

Once the package has been installed, copy the hdf file onto the hard disk (or make it available in maintenance mode), then reboot into maintenance mode.

Usage (from the telnet cli):
Code:
/mod/sbin/cfupdater <hdf-file>

At the moment it is command line only but if it is useful I may create a webif plugin to upload the hdf file.

I do not have an HD-Fox-T2, so can not test it on that machine. Apart from the different file locations there may be some issues with possible memory relocation.

Last edited:
This is great news and I will try it out tomorrow
At the moment it is command line only but if it is useful I may create a webif plugin to upload the hdf file.
I don't think this is needed, In the beta firmware forum it was suggested that the CF was added to the catalogue as a dummy package and I then suggested that it could be a real package to actually downloaded the CF to the Humax.
The discussion then got bogged down with the complexity of how to find a suitable USB stick but with your new loader the process becomes much much simpler.
  1. Install the CF-314 package from the package catalogue, package install stores the hdf on the hard drive
  2. Reboot into maintenance mode
  3. Select a new 'Firmware update' option on the Maintenance mode which runs cfupdater using the downloaded hdf

I think that would be for @af123 to decide. I seem to recall that he tracks the CF downloads and may want to keep it separate from the package system.

I think that sounds like a good idea - anything to make this easier for people and cfupdater works really well.

Perhaps this process could download the file from the Internet, either at package installation or later from the maintenance menu? Anyone without Internet access from their HDR will have to use the traditional method but I can live with that.

Perhaps this process could download the file from the Internet, either at package installation or later from the maintenance menu? Anyone without Internet access from their HDR will have to use the traditional method but I can live with that.
First time installs will also have to be traditional but there aren't many of those except when acquiring a 2nd hand machine or following a factory reset.

I assume bundle installs suffer the same USB pickiness as firmware upgrades.

Could someone kindly remind me how to ftp to the root please? I was wracking my brain last week when trying to delete a corrupt queue database.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I seem to recall having to use a different user name in Filezilla (in substitution for "HumaxFTP")

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

In the beta firmware forum it was suggested that the CF was added to the catalogue as a dummy package and I then suggested that it could be a real package to actually downloaded the CF to the Humax.
How about making the latest CF .hdf part of the cfupdater package? When there is a new CF, the version of cfupdater goes up so the new CF file gets downloaded as a package update. Then apply from the maintenance menu as before.

Not sure how to accommodate people's preferences for standard firmware version, maybe that could be auto-detected or in WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for cfupdater.

My feeling is that the cfupdater package should be kept separate from the CF package(s). I don't want to update all the CF packages every time this package is updated. The CF packages can have the cfupdater package as a dependency.

The hdf files are quite large (around 24M) compared to most of the others so it may be best to have a package per hdf file.

Back