[CFW 2.22/1.03.12] Customised firmware based on 1.03.12

af123

Administrator
Staff member
I've released a custom firmware version based on the official 1.03.12 that was OTAd last night. From what I can tell, there isn't much changed over 1.03.11 so presumably just the new HD Mux recording fixes. Strange that there is no mention in the release notes for 1.03.12 of the new improved disk check/repair.

This release is based on the official 1.03.12 release extracted directly from the overnight broadcast (OTA).

Usual place: http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads

Extracting from the OTA turned out to be much much harder than I anticipated without access to the official broadcast specs!

That's a double well done.Is that because you were using the data stream this time... you'll have to explain, but up to you if you don't want to for reasons.

I got it to work in BootHDR and downloading a programme and it played. I see the internet radio works and my favourites on the radio side are retained. Will continue to look around.

Nothing to do with the custom firmware, but I'm reading that people who installed the official 1.03.12 firmware are complaining of a slow epg. Can anyone comment on this? Is it really bad?

Thanks.

The EPG lag has been reported in 1.03.06 and 1.03.11 releases, I am not aware of any reports of 1.03.12 being any different in EPG lag than these two earlier releases. The LAG shows itself in the EPG (displayed on your TV screen) when navigating up, down, left and right through the programme list and it can be reduced (but not removed) by deleting items in the schedule that have no 'next time/date' i.e. -- : -- ~ -- : -- is displayed (Link HERE)

Thanks for the reply. I'm still on 1.02.32 - been delaying the upgrade for a while since I'm happy with my current build.

Nothing to do with the custom firmware, but I'm reading that people who installed the official 1.03.12 firmware are complaining of a slow epg. Can anyone comment on this? Is it really bad?
When I first used 1.03.12 the delay was bad. However there were about 20 expired series still in the schedule and deleting these leaving just over 20 active series gives a perfectly acceptable (in my opinion) response

It is just good house keeping although you could argue that may be the box ought to do it, itself after a suitable period has elapsed ? - couple of months perhaps. New series get different series links, so we are talking about infrequent series and the odd one off programme could surely be deleted after it has expired in the EPG.

It is just good house keeping although you could argue that may be the box ought to do it, itself after a suitable period has elapsed ? - couple of months perhaps.
It does do it itself - after 3 months.

thanks for the new CFW af... sterling work! I can confirm the epg lag is awful on .12 - although I don't know what I was running previously (not .11). I would guess at a minimum of 1 second to respond to a button press when scrolling up or down.

I do have lots of out-of-date recordings, so I guess I'll be doing some housekeeping! I'll let you know how effective it is... fingers crossed!

Dave

I will be interesting to see when Humax place 1.03.12 on their download portal now. If by 'holding off' they thought that it would slowdown the release of a custom firmware, they were wrong, very wrong!

I tend to think its just a policy decision now. They would argue with improved testing, Barry et al that what they OTA is correct and doesn't need extra testing ahead. After the OTAs have finished then they should put it up on their site.

Guy at Humax who use to look after the beta testing site left, name slips me. It is convenient for them that they get the kudos of the release but then we know that af123 can turn round the custom add on in a day so its pretty immaterial.

Thank you very much af123!

I'm going straight from 1.03.06. I never experienced EPG lag on my box, but I'm very OCD about expired recordings (there's about three at most) and there's only about 10 schedule recordings at one time. No noticeable lag on 1.03.12 either.

I will be interesting to see when Humax place 1.03.12 on their download portal now. If by 'holding off' they thought that it would slowdown the release of a custom firmware, they were wrong, very wrong!
Remember that previously the OTAs were transmitted on the HiDef multiplex so anyone who could not get HiDef at the time were unable to receive updates, therefore had to use downloads. That is no longer the case as the OTAs are carried on PSB1, so downloads are no longer essential.

But what about if somebody missed the OTAs for some reason (box powered off whilst on vacation) how will they be able to get up to date if there are no regular OTAs (after next week).
I suspect downloads will be essential then.

But what about if somebody missed the OTAs for some reason (box powered off whilst on vacation) how will they be able to get up to date if there are no regular OTAs (after next week).
If things follow the normal course then there will be half a dozen repeat broadcasts over the next few months.

I'm a little conflicted. I'm on 2.19/1.02.32, having blocked the OTA update. My machine has never missed a recording on BBC3HD/BBC4HD and I have no interest in anything through the portal as I have a media PC connected to the TV and it does all that stuff much better.

Reading about the EPG slowdown, I'm reminded of my old 9200T and I don't want to go there. Is there any good reason why I should update?

Back