[CFW 2.22/1.03.12] Customised firmware based on 1.03.12

Although the main Digital Switch Over has now finished, there are still minor changes planned in various TV areas to add to or change the current set-up. It is possible that these changes could trigger a DSO type event

There was the crafty one when the new HD channels went live and they added the region code to the BBC SD ones, so af123's software didn't restore those ones since the name changed. That was just before Xmas. New radio stations come and go all the time, plus the shopping channels...

There was the crafty one when the new HD channels went live and they added the region code to the BBC SD ones, so af123's software didn't restore those ones since the name changed. That was just before Xmas. New radio stations come and go all the time, plus the shopping channels...

Well, I don't have disable dso and did not have the retune you are talking about. The only auto retune I remember was at the dso time 2? years ago.

That's because it was never issued as such, but when you did the retune it did defeat af123's process for writing back the details of the schedule on the channels where they changed the name e..g. BBC 1 London etc. Really if you are away out of the country or not at home for a short period you don't want an auto tune to go through. Best to do these yourself.

(the launch of the extra HD channels was a poor example - oops but did illustrate how the custom software works)

af123's process for writing back the details of the schedule on the channels where they changed the name e..g. BBC 1 London etc.
What does this mean?

Also as I said earlier, I did not retune. The machine auto retuned itself via the process which disable dso tries to kill.

This is weird. "Do I really need disable-dso?" "I think I'll run disable-ota but not bother with the Reminder schedule"... Tell you what, measles is pretty rare these days, let's not bother vaccinating our children - oh, just remembered, that's what they did in Swansea.

AFAIK there is no reason not to install disable-dso and disable-ota, presuming one is using CF at all of course. As noted, neither can be 100% effective if the "right" set of circumstances occur, but disable-ota can be bolstered by a suitably timed Reminder schedule (which equally serves non-CF installations). The Reminder has the slight down side of starting up the Humax in the early hours, if that is going to be a problem.

The only other defence against unwanted automatic retunes (to bolster disable-dso) is pre-1.02.27 firmware, and although I am still using 1.02.20 on one of my HDR-FOXes it comes with its own set of limitations.

What does this mean?

Also as I said earlier, I did not retune. The machine auto retuned itself via the process which disable dso tries to kill.

What that means is that without the custom software the automatic retune deleted all your bookmarked channels for recording in the future. Originally you got the invite to do a retune then with a specific release and from then on, BH will give you chapter and verse on this if you need which and I'm sure it's excellently documented. The software gives you a period to think about it and if you don't reply just goes ahead and does it, deleting your scheduled recordings of those muxes that change. There were expletives when this was put into the software by Humax but it is still retained.

Thus when a DSO event is triggered if you don't block it and your in the loo, having tea or whatever miss that screen you can loose your schedule. The custom software after a retune puts back the schedule that has been deleted, that's even if you do the retune yourself. Thus it can be used to block the auto retune via the option described above and will save the day as well. The issue with the name changing of channels was that the custom software puts back the schedule by channel name so if the channel changes name then it is unable to match the old name with the new name.

As BH says it's always good to take multiple protection since you don't know whether each option will block out what you want to stop, powering up between 4:20 - 4:40 should prevent a software update, disable - ota is a further double dose of this, whilst disable - dso stops the DTG group instructing your box to do an auto retune. Now if you also accept that BH considers that you should do a manual search due to issues in how auto search / retune works due to software faults prior to 1.02.32 then there is also a very strong argument to use diable DSO since it also messes up your tuning if you are on 1.02.29 or less.

Not everybody needs to use manual tuning, but the point is that any tuning operation wipes the recording schedule (or part of it). Auto-restore is a relatively new feature of the WebIF, but even now it can only do a restore during the boot up process so there is a significant chance of missing recordings even so.

powering up between 4:20 - 4:40
And for the last time: it has to be a Reminder or a recording operation, not just an on/off timer power-up.

I note what you say on the power up and MontysEvilTwin said that the other day. Thanks for the reminder, I got to check the box to see which way I did it. In the early days of the fix the logic was as I recall the retune wipe didn't effect the power on and off, but if it doesn't do the job, erroneousness logic. Ok all is fine, just got to check the HD at the other location on the off chance that they might release an update...

I'm getting occasional lines such as this in mongoose_error.log:
Code:
[1394105070] [error] [client <ip>] OPTIONS /: Error 400: Bad Request
[1394105080] [error] [client <ip>] OPTIONS /: Error 400: Bad Request
I don't recall what I was doing at the time, but I've seen it a few times this week.

Something on your network is performing an OPTIONS request against the web server and mongoose doesn't support it. Nothing to worry about. I've half a mind to look at replacing mongoose with something sleeker.

Having read that link it does not sound like the machine auto retuned. he simply got a message that he needs to retune because of changes . The machine did not proceed by itself which is what disable dso would prevent.

What are you talking about?

Regardless of whether the Humax auto-tuned (I think it did, he "gave in"), the nag does not go away until you let it carry on (either by selecting "now" or by it timing out and defaulting to "now"). A manually initiated tuning does not clear the nag.

The point is that you claimed there are no more network-initiated retune events now DSO is complete, while here is an example of one to contradict that claim.

Now that the DSO has finished is this package still needed?
Yes.
Well, I don't have disable dso and did not have the retune you are talking about. The only auto retune I remember was at the dso time 2? years ago.
Bully for you.

(I think it did, he "gave in"), the nag does not go away until you let it carry on (either by selecting "now" or by it timing out and defaulting to "now"). A manually initiated tuning does not clear the nag.

The point is that you claimed there are no more network-initiated retune events now DSO is complete, while here is an example of one to contradict that claim.

I think you're too hot under the collar to judge properly.
First of all I did not claim anything. I just asked a question, can you tell the difference?
Secondly, you base the first para on what YOU think? really? Let's base it on fact please.
One of these facts is that I did not suffer an auto retune message or no message on screen. I don't have disable dso. Anyone can draw a conclusion.

One of these facts is that I did not suffer an auto retune message or no message on screen. I don't have disable dso. Anyone can draw a conclusion.
"My granddad smoked 80 a day for 80 years and never went into hospital once. How can smoking be dangerous?"

Back