[CFW 3.03] Customised Firmware version 3.03 released.

You can build your own PVR from scratch using off the shelf components and a bit of open source software to drive them (https://www.mythtv.org/) but mostly those of us who have bought Humaxes prefer the convenience and reliability offered by having a neatly packaged set of components that are known to work together. In return we lose some of the flexibility offered by a roll your own solution.

The custom firmware goes long way in turning a good out-of-the-box PVR into a great one but you have to recognize that there are practical limitations to what it can achieve and significantly changing the behaviour of the Humax supplied portion of firmware is one of these for the reasons already explained.

It might be possible however to compile the MythTV package to run on the Humax hardware platform and totally replace the Humax firmware that way giving a fully customisable alternative - I don't know if anyone has ever tried to run MythTV on a Humax box.

(This topic is diverging significantly from the original subject - would it be worth splitting out to a new topic?)

It might be possible however to compile the MythTV package to run on the Humax hardware platform and totally replace the Humax firmware that way giving a fully customisable alternative - I don't know if anyone has ever tried to run MythTV on a Humax box.
That won't work: apart from the standard interfaces like USB and Ethernet, the Humax hardware such as video output and tuners are not accessed through standard drivers. You would have to write your own drivers (for undocumented hardware), and then (as the Humax processor is very low powered) make sure the code is optimised to use the hardware acceleration that makes the Humax work at all.

I have thought of another simile: figuring out the Humax binary is like cracking Enigma - it was easy for the Germans to create the cyphertext from their plaintext, they controlled the process of conversion. Our code breakers invested a huge effort and exploited mistakes the Germans made to be able to reverse the process, and a similar process would apply to understanding the Humax cyphertext (ie the executable binary).

Incidentally: I have often wondered what ciphers the Allies used, and what progress the Germans made with breaking them. We've heard plenty about Enigma, Shark, etc - but history is written by the victors.

I have thought of another simile: figuring out the Humax binary is like cracking Enigma - it was easy for the Germans to create the cyphertext from their plaintext, they controlled the process of conversion. Our code breakers invested a huge effort and exploited mistakes the Germans made to be able to reverse the process, and a similar process would apply to understanding the Humax cyphertext (ie the executable binary).

Incidentally: I have often wondered what ciphers the Allies used, and what progress the Germans made with breaking them. We've heard plenty about Enigma, Shark, etc - but history is written by the victors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_code_breaking_in_World_War_II
http://www.bletchleyparkresearch.co.uk/research-notes/how-successful-were-hitlers-codebreakers/

Back