[CFW 3.10] Customised Firmware v3.10 released.

• New gptf option to re-format the internal hard disk using the GPT scheme;
Hi.
It would appear that this menu option is only applicable to the internal disk. Any chance this can be modified to support external (USB) drives, as I would think it quite useful to be able to simply plug in and prepare a disk to the pvr's preferences rather than subject it to the whims of Windows.
I've been following the trials of external disks with 3.10, as I've previously only managed to use a 'big' disk by messing with the allocations and restricting the range of sectors available.
The enhanced disk support is the killer feature of 3.10 for me, but I must say the rest is working nice and smoothly.

Yes, it's only for the internal disk because getting that right is a bit tricky so that the Humax software is still happy with it.
For an external disk, I consider that setting it up on Windows or Linux is straightforward enough - and even if Windows chooses a GPT scheme it will work with CFW 3.10. The command line tools are there though if you wanted to do it from the Humax command line.

Apols if I've asked this before. but...

have you considered please adding ext4 fs support to the kernel?

Even if the advantages (e.g. 10x faster fsck) didn't matter too much on the Humax itself, it would mean that external USB disks could be ext4 and that would help when they were moved to a Linux PC, for example.

thanks much...

Sorry, we have kernel version 2.6.18 and ext4 was first introduced in 2.6.19 and stabilised as of 2.6.28. That's too much back-porting work!

Sorry, we have kernel version 2.6.18 and ext4 was first introduced in 2.6.19 and stabilised as of 2.6.28. That's too much back-porting work!

oh! I'd hoped it could have gone in as a module, but too much dependency on other areas?

OK, thanks; I knew there must be a reason :)

At present I am running CF 3.03. Having read stuff about the latest, with hangs and all that, I wonder if it's 'safe' to upgrade to CF 3.10 yet or will that open a can of worms that I can do without?:frantic:
Please advise

Hangs? There were problems with some of the beta versions (which was kind of the point of the testing) but as far as I know the final released one is fine.

Last edited:
I've not had any problems with the betas or the release version, using original HDDs. The hacking around was to support weird HDDs and big HDDs, which required some development.

I'm on the latest firmware and I am still getting hangs that started when I updated with a previous custom firmware.

Is there a log file or something we can run to try and diagnose the issue?

There you go. Hangs on the latest.:( Which is why I asked. Can do without that problem.

Twice this week I had to power cycle the box to get it to work again.

Once it was on all night and I came downstairs to find the redring showing but I knew there were no recordings scheduled for that time.

Other night I noticed it after about an hour, there was a recording of 4 minutes that had failed.

I've always had freezes, all three boxes (that I leave on 24/7) hang up from time to time. The longer it's left on, the more chance there is that it will hang. I don't attribute this to anything new in the firmware.

I'm on the latest firmware and I am still getting hangs that started when I updated with a previous custom firmware.

There you go. Hangs on the latest.:( Which is why I asked. Can do without that problem.

ian_j's problems started with a previous version. I am not aware of anyone having problems with 3.10. It has been downloaded over 500 times and is running on a fair number of boxes that talk to RS. I would expect 3.10 to be more stable than 3.03 due to the SATA driver changes.

ian_j - I would suggest trying the 3.10k version to rule out the custom kernel as a factor. I don't really expect that will be any better though unfortunately. A progressive crashing/hang fault is usually indicative of a disk fault, failing front panel or PSU. There isn't an easy way to determine which.

Yes, it's only for the internal disk because getting that right is a bit tricky so that the Humax software is still happy with it.
For an external disk, I consider that setting it up on Windows or Linux is straightforward enough - and even if Windows chooses a GPT scheme it will work with CFW 3.10. The command line tools are there though if you wanted to do it from the Humax command line.

I have a couple of T2s running CF3.10 (build 2734) on 1.03.12, but I have been unable so far to get them to see my new 4TB Seagate USB drive (model STEB4000200). It came formatted for windows but now I have tried using GPARTED to create a 4tb GPT partition formatted ext3. Neither box sees it when I plug it in, though they are both happy with the old (noisy!) 2TB drive. Are there any specific formatting instructions or any (probably obvious) steps I an missing?

Many thanks for creating your fine firmware.

I have a couple of T2s running CF3.10 (build 2734) on 1.03.12, but I have been unable so far to get them to see my new 4TB Seagate USB drive (model STEB4000200). It came formatted for windows but now I have tried using GPARTED to create a 4tb GPT partition formatted ext3. Neither box sees it when I plug it in, though they are both happy with the old (noisy!) 2TB drive. Are there any specific formatting instructions or any (probably obvious) steps I an missing?
Could you install the debug version of the firmware and then post the output of the 'dmesg' command after you plug the disk in? That should show more information on what's going on.

Thanks, I'll do that now. I'm assuming "dmesg" is available through telnet? I know you know what you're doing, I only wish the same applied to me!

I believe this is the relevant section of the output, I hope it means something to you. Unfortunately my version of putty froze while I was doing the screenshot - should I just reboot the Humax?Screenshot 2016-08-08 19.10.18.jpg

Sorry for the delay, I somehow missed your reply.

The log looks fine - it identified the partitioning scheme correctly and mounted the single partition.

Can you please post the output of the mount command after plugging the disk in?
Also the content of the rag.log log file.

Hopefully that will give some more clues.

Back